27/08/2026
Block Con C 19; plots 29 and x/402.
Perry Family of Newport.
Edmund PERRY.
Livery Stable Proprietor, Post Office Mail Contractor and former Tramway Contractor.
Died 1919 aged 80y. Abode 67 Commercial Road.
Buried 14-02-1919, Block Con C 19, plot 29, St Woolos Cemetery.
Edwin George PERRY.
Son of above.
Tram Car Manager, Livery Stable Manager, P.O. Mail Contractor.
Died 1955 aged 94y. Abode 10 Rutland Place.
Buried 29-12-1955, Block Con C 19, plot x/402, St Woolos Cemetery.
Edmund Perry was originally from Somerset, but came to Newport in the 1870s, just before the horse-drawn tramway operation began in Newport on the 1st February 1875 under the management of the Newport Tramways Company Ltd.
The “Tramway Systems of the British Isles” (link http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page151/styled-202/page625.html) reports regarding the Newport Horse Tramways:
“Horse-drawn tramway operation began in Newport at the relatively early date of the 1st February 1875, under the auspices of the Newport Tramways Company Ltd.
The 1.15-mile long line ran roughly southeastwards from Tredegar Place (opposite the Queens Hotel), through Commercial St and Commercial Rd, where it terminated at the junction with Frederick St. The company had hoped to have the terminus further to the south at Church St, but ran into objections from the Tredegar Wharf Company (the landowners); these were however eventually overcome — with the support of Newport Council — the line being extended to Pill Gates near Church St in December 1877. A loop line also existed in the early years — along Bolt St, Dock St and Ruperra St, but this was abandoned in Autumn 1877.
Operation of the tramway was originally contracted to Edmund Perry (a local horse provider), this being converted to a formal lease in April 1881. Around this time, and during the first half of the 1880s however, the company was being heavily criticised for everything from the state of the track to the grubbiness of the tramcars (supposedly Edmund Perry's responsibilities), which probably led to it taking over operation itself at the end of Perry's lease (March 1885).”
Edmund’s son, Edwin George Perry, was also involved in the business. Of a family of long-livers, the 90th birthday of Edwin was reported in the press in 1951:
“HE DROVE THE TOWN’S FIRST ‘HORSE-BUS’.
Ninety years old today and still remarkably active, is Mr. Edwin ‘Ted’ Perry, of 10, Rutland Place, Newport. He has two younger brothers. Mr. Fred Perry, of 43, Gibbs Road, who will be 87 next March, and Mr. Albert Perry, the baby of the family, who is 84. Their combined ages total 261 years, possibly a record for longevity in Newport.
Approximately seventy years ago, when Edwin and Fred were young then, their father became Managing Director of Newport’s first transport service. Edwin drove the first “bus” – a converted egg wagon drawn by two horses, Brandy and soda, who can be seen in one of the pictures of old Newport now in tie museum.
Old Mr. [Edmund] Perry kept eighty to ninety horses and had a number of mews in the town, chief of them on the site of the present Odeon cinema. The brothers drove about a Newport which present inhabitants would not recognise. They picked blackberries where the timber yard owned by Messrs. Davies Brothers now stands ; pears from the orchard of Dick’s Nurseries, now the site of the Technical College, and water lilies from the swamps that were drained to make way for the Athletic Grounds.
At various points in the town they were halted by turnpikes. There was one at Barrack Hill, another at the Hand Post, and a third at Caerleon Bridge. Clarence Place and Cardiff Road each had two. The Municipal authorities leased the turnpikes to contractors who were responsible for maintaining the roads in repair, and a charge of 6d. was made for each horse going through. The drivers, incidentally, were paid 6s. a week.
They can remember the days when there was a pump at Baneswell and a fountain gushing out cold, crystal water at Eveswell which was thought to have healing properties. People came from the surrounding districts to take bottles of it home. Its properties were supposed to be specially good for failing sight, and the water was later diverted on the construction of the Wentwood reservoir.
Mr. Ted Perry, as a very young man, saw Disraeli, and he heard Gladstone speak on Home Rule for Ireland. He also has a recollection of a little old lady in black on a visit to Bristol – Queen Victoria.
He volunteered with his horse, for the Boer war, but only the horse was taken. But for that refusal, Mr. Perry might not now be celebrating his ninetieth birthday, for the horse was killed.
One of Mr. Fred Perry’s treasures is an autographed photograph of Godfrey Charles (“Balaclava”) Viscount Tredegar, whom he used to follow to hounds.
Besides running the town “Busses,” Mr. Perry, senior, was a mail contractor and his two sons used to drive in all weathers as far afield as Gloucester and Brecon with the mail. Sometimes they stuck in snowdrifts and had to blow on the bugles for help. They knew some uneasy moments when Garcia, the Llangibby killer was at large, for they travelled the murderer’s road. But the mail always went through.”
Edmund’s wife, Mary Ann née Wells, is buried with him. They had married in the parish church at Stepney, Middlesex on the 23 May 1859, where Edmund’s father is shown as George Perry, a Somerset farmer. In 1911 Edmund and Mary Ann, together with Edwin George Perry, are shown as living at 10 Clarence Place with their daughter’s family, Florence Amelia, who had married a Granville Henry Thomas in 1895 in Newport. Granville and Florence are buried elsewhere in St Woolos Cemetery with four infants, including a stillborn child buried the same day as Florence in 1915, so sadly it looks like she may have died in childbirth.
Edwin Perry’s brother, Frederick Elihu Perry (mentioned above), is buried with members of his family in Christchurch Cemetery.