Hello Former and Current Foster Youth!
In the weeks following the FYI briefing with the White House DPC, Representatives Danny Davis (D-IL) and Jackie Walorski (R-IN), introduced HR 7947, The Supporting Foster Youth and Families Through the Pandemic Act. This bipartisan proposal includes key provisions that would provide significant relief to those in care and those that have recently aged out.
Specifically for current and former youth in foster care, the legislation would:
• Place a moratorium on aging out of care so young people could remain connected to services;
• Allow re-entry into foster care;
• Increase Chafee funds by $400 million to meet the immediate needs of young people;
• Expand Chafee eligibility through age 26;
• Remove the 30% Chafee housing cap; and
• Increase Education & Training Vouchers from $5,000 to $12,000 per person per year.
We are asking you, current and former foster youth, to sign onto a letter formally asking First Lady Trump to advocate for the bill to members of the House and Senate so that it can be included in the next round of COVID-19 relief or the next thing that moves. Due to the time sensitive nature of the request and Congressional actions, the deadline to sign onto the letter is Friday September 18th at 5pm EST.
Read and sign onto the letter here:
More on the Supporting Foster Youth and Families through the Pandemic Act: https://link.edgepilot.com/s/34ae7ef4/_sX2yXfly06orJVtTpMrtw?u=https://tinyurl.com/yxa7fby4