In March of 1906, the Dyckman Street station opened as part of the IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue line’s extension. During the extension, it was the first completed station opened north of 157th Street to a temporary terminus at 221st Street. Originally serving only six-car trains, it was extended to accommodate ten-car trains in 1948. Over 60 years later, the station received renovations including rehabilitated tunnel portal and platforms, new lighting, and an elevator to the downtown platform.
These #NYTMCollection photographs document the Dyckman Street station’s tracks in 1946 and fare control area in 1962. Built above ground level, atop an embankment, it serves as a northern portal to the Washington Heights Mine Tunnel, which takes the Broadway-Seventh Avenue line through the bedrock of Manhattan.