Memorable Events in Black History

Memorable Events in Black History Hello, everybody! Welcome to the Memorable Events in Black History fan page! On this page, you will see memorable events in black history. From accomplishments to record breaking moments to historic patents to much more!

The reason I created this page is because the world should know that not all blacks are up to no good. We honor those who paved the way for us so we can have a better life. When you visit this page, you have the right to post a black history fact about anyone who is famous or even from around your area. Also, debates are welcome! With all that being said, I hope and pray that this page is a success and with your help, it can be. I hope you get something out of what's being posted. I am Raephel 'Ralph' Young, your creator of the page! Enjoy your time here!

Operating as usual

Let's take the time out to wish the Godfather of Gangsta Rap Eazy-E a happy birthday today! Eric Lynn Wright (09/07/1963...

Let's take the time out to wish the Godfather of Gangsta Rap Eazy-E a happy birthday today! Eric Lynn Wright (09/07/1963–03/26/1995) was born to Richard and Kathie Wright in Compton, California, a Los Angeles suburb notorious for gang activity and crime. His father was a postal worker and his mother was a grade school administrator. Wright dropped out of high school in the tenth grade, but later received a high-school general equivalency diploma (GED). Wright supported himself primarily by selling drugs. Wright's friend Jerry Heller admits that he witnessed Wright selling marijuana, but says that he never saw him sell cocaine. As Heller noted in his book Ruthless: A Memoir, Wright's "dope dealer" label was part of his "self-forged armor". Wright was also labeled as a "thug". Heller explains: "The hood where he grew up was a dangerous place. He was a small guy. 'Thug' was a role that was widely understood on the street; it gave you a certain level of protection in the sense that people hesitated to f**k with you. Likewise, 'dope dealer' was a role that accorded you certain privileges and respect." In 1986, at the age of 23, Wright had allegedly earned as much as $250,000 from dealing drugs. However, he decided that he could make a better living in the Los Angeles hip-hop scene, which was growing rapidly in popularity. He started recording songs during the mid-1980s in his parent's garage. The original idea for Ruthless Records came when Wright asked Heller to go into business with him. Wright suggested a half-ownership company, but it was later decided that Wright would get 80 percent of the company's income, and Heller would only get 20 percent. Heller said to Wright, "Every dollar comes into Ruthless, I take 20 cents. That's industry standard for a manager of my caliber. I take 20, you take 80 percent. I am responsible for my expenses, and you're responsible for yours. You own the company. I work for you." Along with Heller, Wright invested much of his money into Ruthless Records. Heller claims that he invested the first $250,000, and would eventually put up to $1,000,000 into the company. N.W.A. was formed when Ruthless signees Dr. Dre and Ice Cube wrote "Boyz-n-the-Hood". It included Wright, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube, and later DJ Yella, MC Ren, and Arabian Prince. The compilation album N.W.A. and the Posse was released on November 6, 1987, and would go on to be certified Gold in the United States. The album featured N.W.A. collaborating with the Fila Fresh Crew, a West Coast rap group originally based in Dallas, Texas. Eazy-E's debut album, Eazy-Duz-It, was released on September 16, 1988, and featured twelve tracks. It was labeled as West Coast hip hop, Gangsta rap, and Golden age hip hop. It has sold over 2.5 million copies in the United States and reached number 41 on the Billboard 200. The album was produced by Dr. Dre and DJ Yella and largely written by Ice Cube, with contributions from MC Ren and The D.O.C. Both Glen Boyd from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and MTV's Jon Wiederhorn claimed that Eazy-Duz-It "paved the way" for N.W.A's most controversial album, Straight Outta Compton. Wright's only solo in the album was a remix of the song "8 Ball", which originally appeared on N.W.A and the Posse. The album featured Wrights's writing and performing; he performed on eight songs and helped write four songs. After the release of Straight Outta Compton, Ice Cube left due to internal disputes, and the group continued as a four-piece ensemble. N.W.A released 100 Miles and Runnin' and Niggaz4Life in 1991. A diss war started between N.W.A and Ice Cube when "100 Miles and Runnin'" and "Real Niggaz" were released. Ice Cube responded with "No Vaseline" on Death Certificate. Wright performed on seven of the 18 songs on Niggaz4Life. In March 1991, Wright accepted an invitation to a lunch benefiting the Republican Senatorial Inner Circle, hosted by then-President George H.W. Bush. A spokesman for the rapper said that Eazy-E supported Bush because of his performance in the Gulf War. N.W.A began to split up after Jerry Heller became the band's manager. Dr. Dre recalls: "The split came when Jerry Heller got involved. He played the divide and conquer game. Instead of taking care of everybody, he picked one nigga to take care of and that was Eazy. And Eazy was like, 'I'm taken care of, so f**k it'." Dre sent Suge Knight to look into Eazy's financial situation because he was beginning to grow suspicious of Eazy and Heller. Dre asked Eazy to release him from the Ruthless Records contract, but Eazy refused. The impasse led to what reportedly transpired between Knight and Eazy at the recording studio where Niggaz4life was recorded. After he refused to release Dre, Knight declared to Eazy that he had kidnapped Heller and was holding him prisoner in a van. The rumor did not convince Eazy to release Dre from his contract, and Knight threatened Eazy's family: Knight gave Eazy a piece of paper that contained Eazy's mother's address, telling him, "I know where your mama stays." Eazy finally signed Dre's release, officially ending N.W.A. The feud with Dr. Dre continued after a track on Dre's The Chronic contained lyrics that insulted Eazy-E. Eazy responded with the EP It's On (Dr. Dre) 187 um Killa, featuring the tracks "Real Muthaphuckkin G's" and "It's On". The album, which was released on October 25, 1993, contains pictures of Dre wearing "lacy outfits and makeup" when he was a member of the Electro-hop World Class Wreckin' Cru. After Dr. Dre left Ruthless Records, executives Mike Klein and Jerry Heller sought assistance from the Jewish Defense League (JDL). Klein, a former Ruthless Records director of business affairs, said this provided Ruthless Records with leverage to enter into negotiations with Death Row Records over Dr. Dre's departure. While Knight had sought an outright release from Ruthless Records for Dr. Dre, the JDL and Ruthless Records management negotiated a release in which the record label would continue to receive money and publishing rights from future Dr. Dre projects with Death Row Records, founded by Dr. Dre with Suge Knight. The FBI launched a money-laundering investigation under the assumption that the JDL was extorting money from Ruthless Records to fight their causes. This led to JDL spokesperson Irv Rubin issuing a press release stating "There was nothing but a close, tight relationship" between Eazy-E and the organization. On February 24, 1995, Eazy-E was admitted into Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles with what he believed to be asthma. Instead he was diagnosed with AIDS. He announced his illness in a public statement on March 16. Eazy's sexual activity began at the age of twelve and resulted in not only a fatal disease, but seven children with six different women. He died due to "complications from AIDS" one month after his diagnosis, on March 26, 1995, at approximately 6:35 PM (Pacific time). He was 31 years old. During the week of March 20, having already made amends with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, Eazy-E drafted his last message to fans. One week after the release of that message, Eazy succumbed to the disease. Eazy was buried at Rose Hills Memorial Park in Whittier, California. In November 1995, shortly after Eazy-E's death, Str8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton was released. Some in hip hop have questioned the circumstances around Eazy E's death, including Bone Thugs-n-Harmony in November 2009 and B.G. Knocc Out in August 2011, who have said that Eazy E's death was very sudden for a case of AIDS and that he was still in good health until shortly before his passing. Allmusic cites Eazy-E's influences as Ice-T, Redd Foxx, King Tee, Bootsy Collins, Run-D.M.C., Richard Pryor, The Egyptian Lover, Schoolly D, Too $hort, Prince, The Sugarhill Gang, and George Clinton. In the documentary The Life and Timez of Eric Wright, Eazy-E mentions collaborating with many of his influences. When reviewing Str8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton, Stephen Thomas Erlewine noted "...Eazy-E sounds revitalized, but the music simply isn't imaginative. Instead of pushing forward and creating a distinctive style, it treads over familiar gangsta territory, complete with bottomless bass, whining synthesizers, and meaningless boasts." When reviewing Eazy-Duz-It, Jason Birchmeier of Allmusic said, "In terms of production, Dr. Dre and Yella meld together P-Funk, Def Jam-style hip-hop, and the leftover electro sounds of mid-'80s Los Angeles, creating a dense, funky, and thoroughly unique style of their own." Birchmeier described Eazy's style as "dense, unique, and funky," and said that it sounded "absolutely revolutionary in 1988." Several members of N.W.A wrote lyrics for Eazy-Duz-It: Ice Cube, The D.O.C., and MC Ren. The EP 5150: Home 4 tha Sick features a song written by Naughty By Nature. The track "Merry Muthaphuckkin' Xmas" features Menajahtwa, Buckwheat, and Atban Klann as guest vocalists, and "Neighborhood Sniper" features Kokane as a guest vocalist. It's On (Dr. Dre) 187 um Killa features several guest vocalists, including Gangsta Dresta, B.G. Knocc Out. Kokane, Cold 187um, Rhythum D, and Dirty Red. Str8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton featured several guest vocalists, including B.G. Knocc Out, Gangsta Dresta, Sylk-E. Fyne, Dirty Red, Menajahtwa, Roger Troutman, and ex-N.W.A members MC Ren and DJ Yella. Eazy-E has been called the godfather of gangsta rap. MTV's Reid Shaheem said that Eazy was a "rap-pioneer," and he is sometimes cited by critics as a legend. Steve Huey of Allmusic said that he was "one of the most controversial figures in gangsta rap." Since his 1995 untimely death, many book and video biographies were produced, including 2002's The Day Eazy-E Died and Dead and Gone. When Eazy was diagnosed with AIDS, many magazines like Jet, Vibe, Billboard, The Crisis, and Newsweek covered the story and released information on the topic. All of his studio albums and EPs charted on the Billboard 200, and many of his singles—"Eazy-Duz-It", "We Want Eazy", "Real Muthaphuckkin G's", and "Just tah Let U Know"—also charted in the U.S. On March 30, 1995, four days after Eazy-E's death, Tom Elerwine, a Daily Arts editor for The Michigan Daily covered Eazy's career in a feature story. An Eazy-E documentary DVD was released by Ruthless Propaganda titled Ruthless Memories. The documentary features interviews from Jerry Heller, MC Ren and B.G. Knocc Out. Happy birthday once again and continue to rest in peace, Eazy-E! Today would've been his 57th birthday!

Let's take the time out to wish retired soccer goalie Briana Scurry a happy birthday today! Briana Colette Scurry (born ...

Let's take the time out to wish retired soccer goalie Briana Scurry a happy birthday today! Briana Colette Scurry (born 09/07/1971) was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota to parents, Ernest and Robbie Scurry. She is the youngest of nine children, with three brothers and five sisters. She played goalie for the Anoka High School Tornadoes for four years and was instrumental in their Minnesota State Championship win in 1989 which ended in a shootout victory. In high school, Scurry ran track and played floor hockey and softball, but basketball was her first and deepest love. Briana was named Anoka High School's Athena Award winner as the school's top female athlete. She was also named High School All American and Minnesota's top female athlete. Scurry attended the University of Massachusetts Amherst and completed her four-year collegiate career with 37 shutouts in 65 starts and with a career record of 48-13-4 and a 0.56 goals-against-average. As a sophomore in 1991, she started in all 19 games for the Minutewomen, recorded 12 shutouts and allowed just nine goals. She split time in the net in 1992 during her junior season, starting 13 games and earning seven shutouts. Scurry played three games in 1992 as a forward. In 1993, she helped lead the UMass Minutewomen to a 17-3-3 record, to the semifinals of the NCAA Women's Soccer Championship and the titles of the Atlantic 10 Conference regular season and tournament. In her senior season, she started all 23 games and recorded 15 shutouts and a 0.48 goals-against average, the third best in the nation. Scurry was named the National Goalkeeper of the Year in 1993 by the Missouri Athletic Club Sports Foundation and was a 1993 second-team All-American, All-Northeast Region and All-New England first-team selection. Scurry was a founding player for the Atlanta Beat in the Women's United Soccer Association (USA), the world's first women's league where the players were paid as professionals. She was the starting goalkeeper for the three seasons (2001-2003) of the league. She helped the Beat to two WUSA Championship Games and was named the league's Goalkeeper of the Year in 2003. On March 13, 2009, Scurry was named to the preseason roster of the Washington Freedom, in the inaugural season of Women's Professional Soccer (WPS). She suffered a season-ending injury early in the 2010 season, and announced her retirement later that year on September 8. Scurry was a goalkeeper for the United States women's national soccer team for most of the years between 1994-2008, earning a record 173 caps for the United States. She started 159 of those games and finished her international career with a record of 133-12-14. She also earned 71 shutouts. Scurry's first appearance for the United States women's national soccer team was March 16, 1994, versus Portugal. Her first shutout was recorded the same day. In her first year with the USA, she earned seven shutouts in 12 starts. She was a member of the Gold Medal-winning US Women's National Team at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta where she started and played in every minute of the team's five matches conceding only three goals. Scurry played every minute of the 1999 Women's World Cup allowing only three goals and recording four shutouts. She started for the USA in the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup and 2004 Summer Olympic Games. She also played two matches for the USA in the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup and was the alternate goalkeeper on the 2008 Olympic Team. On June 23, 2008, United States Women's Olympic soccer coach Pia Sundhage announced that Scurry would not be on the Olympic team. Her last match for the USA was on November 5, 2008, against the Korea Republic. In 2010, she was inducted into the Minnesota State High School Hall of Fame. In September 2011, Scurry was named to the inaugural class of the Anoka High School Hall of Fame. Scurry was appointed general manager of the WPS franchise magicJack beginning with the 2011 season. Scurry was part of the rotation of studio commentators for ESPN's telecasts of the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup. So far to date, Scurry was the first goalkeeper regardless of nationality or gender to play in 100 international matches and her career total of 173 is the most among female soccer goalkeepers. Scurry has been called the "Jackie Robinson" of soccer as the only African American starter on the U.S. women's soccer team. She is currently active in the fight against childhood obesity and an advocate for AIDS awareness and research. On December 6, 2017, Scurry was announced as the First Assistant Coach of the Washington Spirit and would serve as Technical Advisor for the Spirit Academy programs in Maryland and Virginia. Happy birthday once again, Briana Scurry! Today is her 49th birthday!

On this day in 1918, professor Harold Amos was born! Harold Amos (09/07/1918-02/26/2003), a native of Pennsauken, NJ, gr...

On this day in 1918, professor Harold Amos was born! Harold Amos (09/07/1918-02/26/2003), a native of Pennsauken, NJ, graduated from Springfield College in Springfield, Mass with a baccalaureate in 1941. He had gone there on an academic scholarship, something few African Americans received at that time. He served in the U.S. Army Quartermaster Corps in Europe during World War II. Following this service, he earned an MA from Harvard University, and then received his PhD from the HMS Division of Medical Sciences in 1952. From 1951 to 1952, he was a Fulbright scholar at the Pasteur Institute in Paris and, in 1954; he joined the Medical School faculty as an instructor in the Department of Bacteriology and Immunology. From 1968 until 1971, and again from 1975 until 1978, he served as chair of the department (now the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics). He was named the Maude and Lillian Presley professor of microbiology and molecular genetics in 1975 and became emeritus in 1988. He also served as chairman of the Division of Medical Sciences from 1971 until 1975 and from 1978 until 1988. "Dr. Amos has been an inspiration, mentor, and career counselor for young scientists and physicians-in-training for decades," said John Mekalanos, current chair of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics. "He has been the consummate teacher: available, approachable, knowledgeable, and wise. Members of the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics are forever grateful that Harold Amos has been our adviser, colleague, teacher, and friend." Amos devoted much of his time and effort to supporting and encouraging minorities in biomedical science and medicine. He supported the establishment of the Hinton-Wright Society in 1983, a graduate student body at the Medical School and HSDM that supports and encourages minority scientists in the Boston medical community. In 1999, he was awarded the first annual Harold Amos Faculty Diversity Award for his continuous contributions to diversity efforts at the schools. The Harold Amos-Genevieve McMillan Scholarship Fund was established in 1999 to encourage African-American students pursuing medical careers, and in 2001, the Harold Amos Fund, an endowed graduate student fellowship for students in the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, was established by Amos's many friends and former students. On the national level, for more than a decade he directed the Minority Medical Faculty Development Program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and he was instrumental in creating minority programs at the National Institutes of Health and the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. Amos was one of the first two recipients of the Dr. Charles R. Drew World Medical Prize, awarded by Howard University to distinguished minority biomedical scientists. He was also awarded the Public Welfare Medal of the National Academy of Sciences in 1995, a doctor of science honorary degree from Harvard University in 1996, and a Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Centennial Medal in 2000. He was a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and, in 1991, was elected a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a member of the Institute of Medicine. He also served on the President's Cancer Panel and the National Cancer Advisory Board, and for more than 30 years, served in various leadership positions with the American Cancer Society. He was a Harvard faculty member for nearly 50 years, made research contributions to the fields of animal cell culture, bacterial metabolism, and animal and bacterial virology. He taught at Harvard Medical School for nearly fifty years and was the first African American department chair of the school. He also inspired hundreds of minorities to become medical doctors. He was a resident of Beacon Hill, Boston. Harold Amos died February 26, 2003. He was 84. Happy birthday once again and continue to rest in peace, Harold Amos!


Chicagoland Area
Chicago, IL


Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Memorable Events in Black History posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Business

Send a message to Memorable Events in Black History:


Nearby government services

Other Public & Government Services in Chicago

Show All


This guy had a great life and thanks for letting us know you love us man!!!!?
Check me out!
I think that I would believe more things said on these type of websites like black live matter. It seems as though it has 2 be a publicity stunt and not help the communities. Show how u r taking away homelessness and show how to not be racial. 1 wrong doesn't fix another. I'm malato and I see it. The excuses. If a person is really mad they would do what is needed. Just like when u c a loved 1 u really love and they get hurt and u do anything 2 get them back. Then there is this false reality that this is any bodies land but the native americans. It has been blown out of perapectiv we because they would of continued to fight 2 the death and that became apparent and they knew they would never really b safe unless it became agreeable. The history is a lie. Just like the world being flat. When they knew it was round they wanted that a secret too.