A friendly reminder.... it’s going to be this coming Thursday
A friendly reminder.... it’s going to be this coming Thursday
Falls Church, VA
Service Above Self" - The mission of Rotary International is to provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through its fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders. More about Rotary and our NoVa district at www.rotary7610.org
Our club projects include the Rotary Service areas of: Community Service, International Service, Club Service, Vocational Service, and New Generations/Youth. We select our service projects based on the needs of our community, both locally and abroad. We focus on projects relating to health, hunger, peace and conflict resolution, education, environmental concerns, literacy and vocational assistance, drug abuse and assisting senior citizens and young people.
Our members build life-long friendships through fellowship, and obtain personal fulfillment through providing volunteer service to others.
Our club sponsors the ROTARY TIMES TV broadcast - Two ½-hour programs taped every month featuring guests from the community, as well as Rotarians from in and out of our District. (more info and sample shows at: http://rkhayes.com/Rotary/Rotary%20Times/Rotary%20Times%20TV.htm. )
The Rotary Times TV Show is aired on COX Fairfax Public Access Cable Channel 10 at these times. Topic #1t Program: 1st Monday @7:00 AM, 1st Friday @8:00 PM, 1st Saturday @4:00 PM. Topic #2 Program: 2nd Monday @ 7:00 AM, 2nd Friday @ 8:00 PM, 2nd Saturday @4:00 PM
Our club participates in several activities both in the immediate Community and at the Rotary District level. In Rotary Year 2009/10, we partnered with other local Rotary Clubs for a District Simplified Grant to improve reading and math lliteracy for underserved youth in Fairfax County. Our grant provided online access to the award-winning CALS (Computer Assisted Learning Solution) program.
One of our main focus is on Youth (now called New Generations avenue of service). Our Rotary District sponsors competitions for schools within the District, and our Club has always been a part of that. We regularly sponsor students in these District competitions:
- Speech & Music Contests (local high school students)
- Essay Contests (local middle school students).
The Bishop O'Connell High School Interact Club is sponsored by the Falls Church Rotary Club, and we are sponsoring a new Interact Club starting Sept. 2010 at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology.
Our club also sponsors academic scholarships such as:
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) - awards leadership camp scholarships to local students).
Youth Exchange Student (selected students offered the opportunity to study abroad. They get to choose one of three countries).
- Group Study Exchange (young adults participate in exchange visits to different countries each year).
World Peace Scholar (nominated student selected by Rotary International to study abroad).
- Ambassadorial Scholar (nominated student selected by Rotary International to study in selected foreign country.)
We sponsored 2l ocal high school students for the summer 2010 Chesapeake Bay Conference, which is a project of the Rotary Club of Gloucester VA.
Our projects overseas, often in partnership with other Rotary clubs, have included:
- Ghana Water Project – R.I. Foundation project.
- Jamaica Ambulance Project (assisted in the procurement of an Ambulance. Joint project with the Rotary Club of Kingston.
- Cameroon Water Project – Providing water to the Village of Wum in the Cameroons – a joint project with the Rotary Club of Charlottesville and the University of Virginia.
- Bridges to Prosperity ($5,000 donated to build a footbridge in Peru and in Ethiopia).
- India Library Project (collected books for India) – a joint project with the Rotary Club of McLean.
- Tsunami Relief (collected funds donated to a Rotary District to help victims of the Tsunami).
- Hurricane relief (collected funds to help victims of Hurricanes in Jamaica and the Gulf Coast).
- Jamaica Literacy Project (assisted the development of a literary center to educate children and adults in Christiana, Jamaica).
- Shelter Box. – the Club provides funds to buy ShelterBoxes to be utilized by people affected by calamities, both natural and manmade, in the world. Most recently, Haitian relief.
- Ugandan Clinic – provided funds to pay the clinic staff and purchase medication.
Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Rotary Club of Falls Church VA posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Send a message to Rotary Club of Falls Church VA:
Maybe you -- or someone you know -- have seen a need in our community and wondered how you could help. Maybe you want to use your professional skills to help others -- or even learn new skills. Maybe you're seeking connections with other service-minded professionals, locally and abroad. Then maybe #Rotary is for you!
The Rotary Club of Falls Church is a fun, diverse group of civic-minded professionals, with club members of various ages and professions, from around the globe. We are a close, small club -- often cited by our Rotary District 7610 with the “Best Small Club” citation. We are proud of the critical impact we make with our hands-on volunteer and financial support to make the world a better place. #SmallClubBigImpact We have been designated a district #PeaceBuilderClub.
During the #SaferAtHome pandemic period, we are meeting online via Zoom. We meet at 6.30pm on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays -- and in more “usual” times, enjoy family-style Chinese dinner at Harvest Moon Restaurant & Lounge (only $15): 7260 Arlington Blvd. (Rte. 50, across from Loehmans Plaza, now called Graham Park Center), Falls Church VA 22042.
Other Thursdays, you'll find us out in the community volunteering or enjoying a happy hour in the area. Guests and visiting Rotarians --- and prospective members -- always welcome! Check our page for our meeting program schedule or email us at [email protected] for the zoom meeting details. Our website and other digital channels are at linktr.ee/FallsChurchRotary.