Douglas / Hicks Law APC

Douglas / Hicks  Law APC Civil Rights, Wrongful Desth, Employment, Personal Injury. and Criminal Defense Law Firm located in Los Angeles, CA.
(2)

Civil Rights and Criminal Defense Law Firm located in Beverly Hills, CA.

Don't miss our own Carl Douglas tonight on FOX SOUL's Mike and Donny Show discussing your legal rights when dealing with...
12/10/2019

Don't miss our own Carl Douglas tonight on FOX SOUL's Mike and Donny Show discussing your legal rights when dealing with the police. Tonight at 8PM ET. Watch live by downloading the FOX Soul app in the iTunes Store or Google Play store on your phone! Online at at https://www.foxsoul.tv/.

FOX SOUL is a new live and interactive streaming channel dedicated to the African American viewer. The programs aim to celebrate black culture and deal with real topics that impact the everyday lives of the black community through frank and insightful dialogue with local and national influencers.

Join Douglas/Hicks Law's Carl Douglas and Jamon Hicks along with Compton Mayor Aja Brown for a free Know Your Rights Wor...
11/22/2019

Join Douglas/Hicks Law's Carl Douglas and Jamon Hicks along with Compton Mayor Aja Brown for a free Know Your Rights Workshop in Compton Saturday, December 7. Spread the word!

Jamon Hicks, a defense attorney at a Los Angeles-based law firm, took on the case after it was overturned.“The trajector...
08/21/2019
After 4 trials, Long Beach man found not guilty of murder

Jamon Hicks, a defense attorney at a Los Angeles-based law firm, took on the case after it was overturned.

“The trajectory of the case, that he was convicted at some point and that it was appealed — the (Court of Appeals) hears less than 5 percent of appeals,” Hicks said. “And to have it be unanimous — that’s just unheard of.”

Matthew Ngov, 28, was acquitted last week.

#BREAKING Four Trials Later, Man Accused of Murder Who Spent 8 Years in Jail is FreeLong Beach, CA - After spending the ...
08/19/2019

#BREAKING Four Trials Later, Man Accused of Murder Who Spent 8 Years in Jail is Free

Long Beach, CA - After spending the last 8 years in jail, and undergoing four trials, a 28-year-old man is free and home with his family after he was found not guilty of murder in connection with a 2011 drive-by shooting in Long Beach announced attorney Jamon Hicks with Douglas/Hicks Law.

Matthew Ngov, was accused of shooting Pablo Ortiz, 34, on June 21, 2011, as he rode his bicycle on the 2100 block of 14th Street near Dawson Ave in Long Beach.

Prosecutors alleged that Ngov was a member of the Asian Boyz gang. He was identified as Ortiz’s alleged killer after he was one of six people arrested in connection with an alleged attempted murder of two people outside of a restaurant.

Ngov was not charged in the restaurant shooting.

Ngov faced a single murder count with additional gun and gang allegations and had been in jail since his initial arrest in 2011 without bail. With no witnesses to the shooting and no weapon, the prosecution argued it had DNA evidence from the crime scene that pointed to Ngov’s guilt.

Ngov’s first trial in March 2013 resulted in a hung jury. Prosecutors retried the case in December 2013 and Ngov was convicted and sentenced to 55 years to life in prison. That conviction was reversed on appeal by a 3-0 vote in October 2015. Prosecutors retried the case for the third time in June 2018 resulting in a deadlocked jury. Prosecutors tried Ngov again this year. On Wed., Aug. 14, a jury found him not guilty of first-degree murder, shooting from a moving vehicle and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

“This is by far my greatest legal accomplishment to date,” said attorney Jamon Hicks. “It was also my most challenging. To bring an innocent man home after being in jail for eight years literally brought me to tears in court. My co-counsel Aja Mann and I are extremely thankful to the jurors who were attentive, pleasant, and responsible in their verdict. Justice was served.”

At the time of his arrest, Matthew Ngov was 20-years-old, worked at Discount Tires and was a few credits away from obtaining his associate degree from Long Beach Community College. A free man, he hopes to continue his education and try to move on with his life.

“I am just happy to be home with my family,” said Ngov. “It has been a long tough road--but my family was there every step of the way.”
.
.
.
#jury #verdict #douglashicks #jamonhicks #longbeach #losangeles #innocent

"It is stunning to me, that even 25 years after the tragic deaths, people are STILL fascinated by all things #OJSimpson....
06/11/2019

"It is stunning to me, that even 25 years after the tragic deaths, people are STILL fascinated by all things #OJSimpson. That case struck a nerve in the consciousness of America that has still not been resolved.

"There seems to me to be continued fascination by people young and old, Black and white. Everybody is interested in talking about some aspect of that case. It will likely be seared into the fabric of this country for decades to come.

"Race relations in Los Angeles are often strained, but I am not sure that I can blame the current state of affairs on the O.J. Simpson case, as opposed to the tribalism that has been fostered and furthered by our current President. Hate crimes and dispiriting conversation seem now to be the rule rather than the exception. People have become untethered and free to launch racist attacks on entire races of people. All of the rhetoric is fueled by the man sitting in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

"In Los Angeles, distrust between the LAPD and the African American community is still high, fueled in part by lingering reminders exposed in the Simpson trial. No matter one’s views on OJ’s responsibility for the deaths of two people, there can be little serious dispute that #LAPD officers lied under oath during his televised trial of the century to convict someone whom they thought was guilty. That is the true travesty of justice in the O.J. Simpson saga."

Catch me on Fox 11 Los Angeles Wednesday morning at 10 am. and later that evening on the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt discussing what has changed and more importantly what hasn't changed in 25 years. --- Carl Douglas

The family of Chinedu Okobi, a 36-year-old unarmed black man who died last year after being tased multiple times by San ...
06/03/2019
Family of man fatally tased by San Mateo County deputies files 2 suits

The family of Chinedu Okobi, a 36-year-old unarmed black man who died last year after being tased multiple times by San Mateo County sheriff’s deputies, filed two lawsuits this week against the county and officers involved in Okobi’s death.

Flanked by Okobi’s sister and mother at a news conference Friday in Oakland, attorneys Carl Douglas and John Burris said the deputies violated Okobi’s civil rights through racial profiling, excessive force and Taser misuse.

The family of Chinedu Okobi, a 36-year-old unarmed black man who died last year after being tased multiple times by San Mateo County sheriff’s deputies, filed two lawsuits against the county and officers involved in his death.

05/07/2019

Announcement of lawsuit against Walgreens in the shooting death of Jonathan Hart by an armed security guard in Hollywood on December 2, 2018. Also known as Sky Young, Jonathan Hart was a Black gay 21 year old homeless youth.

Tune in at 11 a.m. PT for an update on the December 2, 2018, murder of Jonathan Hart aka Sky Young, by an armed security...
05/07/2019

Tune in at 11 a.m. PT for an update on the December 2, 2018, murder of Jonathan Hart aka Sky Young, by an armed security guard at Walgreens in Hollywood, California. #Justice4Sky

Our own Carl Douglas is joining John and Jillian on KABC-AM 790 TalkRadio this morning at 8:35 a.m. to discuss his lates...
04/03/2019
KABC-AM

Our own Carl Douglas is joining John and Jillian on KABC-AM 790 TalkRadio this morning at 8:35 a.m. to discuss his latest case involving the beating of a man at #Dodger Stadium. Click the link to listen.

TalkRadio 790

Attorneys for Man in Coma After Dodger Stadium Attack Say Team Hasn’t Made Enough Reforms Since 2011 Assault
04/03/2019
Attorneys for Man in Coma After Dodger Stadium Attack Say Team Hasn’t Made Enough Reforms Since 2011 Assault

Attorneys for Man in Coma After Dodger Stadium Attack Say Team Hasn’t Made Enough Reforms Since 2011 Assault

Lawyers for a baseball fan on life support following a weekend assault outside Dodger Stadium said Tuesday that the team hasn't done enough to improve security since a similar attack eight years ago. Los Angeles police are searching for a man who punched Rafael Reyna during an argument following Fri...

Carl Douglas, the attorney for the family, says Rafael Reyna remains in intensive care at LAC+USC Medical Center on Tues...
04/03/2019
Dodger Stadium fight: Family of injured fan considers taking legal action

Carl Douglas, the attorney for the family, says Rafael Reyna remains in intensive care at LAC+USC Medical Center on Tuesday. He says he is improving but is in very serious condition.

The family of a Los Angeles Dodgers fan has hired a prominent attorney who is considering taking legal action after the father of four was brutally injured in a fight in the stadium parking lot.

Attorneys: Dodger Stadium attack similar to 2011 assault
04/03/2019
Attorneys: Dodger Stadium attack similar to 2011 assault

Attorneys: Dodger Stadium attack similar to 2011 assault

Lawyers for a baseball fan on life support following a weekend assault outside Dodger Stadium say the team hasn’t done enough to improve security since a similar attack eight years ago

04/02/2019

#ANNOUNCEMENT
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The family of a man beaten in a parking lot fight at Dodger Stadium early Saturday morning has retained acclaimed civil rights and personal injury attorney Carl Douglas of Douglas / Hicks Law, APC.

Rafael Reyna, 47, allegedly got into a verbal dispute with another man that turned physical sometime after midnight Saturday following the Dodgers game against the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Dodgers lost 5-4 in what was the longest regular-season game in the stadium’s history.

Mr. Reyna is currently hospitalized in a coma.

The suspect is still outstanding and is described as a man in his 20s. Police say he may have driven off in a white SUV, possibly a Toyota 4Runner.

"Jonathan Hart was unarmed. He was a homeless, gay, black man who was profiled we say because he was homeless, who was h...
01/03/2019
Security Guard Pleads Not Guilty to Murder in Walgreens Fatal Shooting

"Jonathan Hart was unarmed. He was a homeless, gay, black man who was profiled we say because he was homeless, who was harassed we say because he was gay and who was shot we say because he was black," Carl Douglas told reporters outside court. "It's clear that he did not pose a deadly threat to anyone."

A security guard charged in the shooting death of a homeless man he suspected of shoplifting at a Walgreens in Hollywood pleaded not guilty Thursday to murder.

The following statement is from national civil rights and personal injury attorney Carl Douglas on Los Angeles County Di...
01/01/2019

The following statement is from national civil rights and personal injury attorney Carl Douglas on Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey’s decision to charge Donald Vincent Ciota with murder in the Dec. 2 shooting death of Jonathan Hart (also known as Sky Hart) over a shoplifting dispute at the Hollywood store.

“The family received news of District Attorney Jackie Lacey’s decision to charge Donald Ciotta with mixed emotions.

“One the one hand, this is the first Christmas they spent without their beloved Jonathan.

“Christmas is a time for family and the hole that his absence created will never be repaired.

“On the other hand, the family is heartened to learn that the process of someone accepting responsibility for Jonathan’s death will now begin in earnest.

“Justice is now on the horizon.

“Lacey’s decision to charge 2nd-degree murder reflects the horrendous circumstances of his death.

“This 21-year-old homeless Black gay man was unarmed and was attempting to evade further confrontation when he was shot from behind.

“The evidence is clear that Jonathan was not posing any threat at all to Mr. Ciota and that the shooting was a gross overreaction which justifies a punitive result.

“Although no one believes that Mr. Ciota planned to kill a man when he woke up that morning, his conduct reflects that he was inadequately trained and grossly unsuited to work as an armed security guard in a high traffic store frequented often by a diverse blend of consumers.

“The family vows to not let Jonathan’s death be in vain. They continue to stress their campaign to boycott Walgreens (#BoycottWalgreens) and is launching a new effort to make America safe again (#MASA).”

Douglas said Hart’s family are planning to file a $525 million wrongful-death suit against Walgreens and continue to call for a boycott of Walgreens until armed guards are removed from all of their stores.

“Walgreens, the blood of Jonathan Hart is on your hands,” attorney Carl Douglas said earlier this month. #MASA #BoycottW...
01/01/2019
Security guard charged with murder in Hollywood Walgreens shooting

“Walgreens, the blood of Jonathan Hart is on your hands,” attorney Carl Douglas said earlier this month. #MASA #BoycottWalgreens

A security guard who shot and killed a 21-year-old man earlier this month in Hollywood was charged with murder by the Los Angeles district attorney’s office Monday.

#BREAKING Douglas / Hicks Law is pleased to announce that Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey has decided ...
12/31/2018

#BREAKING Douglas / Hicks Law is pleased to announce that Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey has decided to charge a security guard at a Walgreens in Hollywood with murder for killing our client Jonathan Hart, also known as Sky Young, who the guard suspected of shoplifting.

Donald Vincent Ciota II of Covina faces one count of murder with an allegation that he used a firearm as a deadly and dangerous weapon.

Carl Douglas and attorneys from our law firm will hold a press conference to respond today at 1 p.m. that we will stream live on Facebook.

National civil rights and personal injury attorney Carl Douglas  (Douglas/Hicks Law) is calling for a boycott of Walgree...
12/17/2018
Civil Rights Attorney Carl Douglas Calls for Boycott of Walgreens - Los Angeles Sentinel

National civil rights and personal injury attorney Carl Douglas (Douglas/Hicks Law) is calling for a boycott of Walgreens (#BoycottWalgreens) stores after executives declined to temporarily remove armed guards from stores following the tragic fatal shooting death of a 21-year-old homeless man by an armed guard in their store.

Jonathan Hart, who was also known as Sky Young, was fatally shot Dec. 2 inside a Walgreens store at Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street in Hollywood.

Jonathan was leaving the store after a shoplifting dispute when an armed security shot him in the back of the neck.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – National civil rights and personal injury attorney Carl Douglas (Douglas/Hicks Law) is calling for a boycott of Walgreens (#BoycottWalgreens) stores after executives declined to temporarily remove armed guards from stores following the tragic fatal shooting death of a 21-year...

12/14/2018
***WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT; RAW VIDEO: Jonathan Hart Walgreens fatal shooting

***WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT; RAW VIDEO: Jonathan Hart Walgreens fatal shooting***

**This video contains graphic content that may be disturbing to some viewers. Viewer discretion is strongly recommended.

The red liquid you see on the floor in the video is from broken wine bottles. It is not blood.**

Civil rights attorney Carl Douglas (Douglas/Hicks Law) is calling for a boycott of Walgreens (#BoycottWalgreens) stores after executives declined to temporarily remove armed guards from stores following the tragic fatal shooting death of a 21-year-old homeless man by an armed guard in their store.

Jonathan Hart, who was also known as Sky Young, was fatally shot Dec. 2 inside a Walgreens store at Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street in Hollywood.

Jonathan was leaving the store after a shoplifting dispute when an armed security shot him in the back of the neck. A video from an eyewitness shows that after shooting Jonathan, the guard stood over him and failed to offer any life saving first aid.

Carl Douglas of Douglas/Hicks Law says #BoycottWalgreens until they remove ALL armed security guards from their stores.

"Each of these stores are in the black, brown and homeless and LGBT communities, and we want to know why." Douglas said.

"Jonathan was not shoplifting," he continued. "Let me repeat that. Jonathan was not shoplifting when he was shot. That's the propaganda Walgreens wants you to report."

He added: "I dare say, Jonathan Hart was profiled because he was homeless. He was harassed because he was gay and he was shot because he was black."

Walgreens is the second-largest pharmacy store chain in the United States and the largest in the world.

#Justice4Sky
#BlackLivesMatter
#JonathanHart
#BoycottWalgreens

“Walgreens, the blood of Jonathan Hart is on your hands,” said Douglas, who called for a boycott of the company.Attorney...
12/12/2018
Family of man shot to death at a Hollywood Walgreens plans $525-million wrongful-death suit

“Walgreens, the blood of Jonathan Hart is on your hands,” said Douglas, who called for a boycott of the company.

Attorney Carl Douglas said Hart was profiled, harassed and ultimately shot because he was a homeless, gay, black man.

The family of a 21-year-old man shot and killed by a Walgreens store security guard earlier this month in Hollywood will seek $525 million in a wrongful-death suit planned against the company, an attorney said Tuesday.

Address

5120 Goldleaf Circle
Ladera Heights, CA
90056

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Douglas / Hicks Law APC posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Business

Send a message to Douglas / Hicks Law APC:

Videos

Nearby government services