As plans were being finalized for the 170th Morrow County Fair, Judy and Russ Mayer shared some of the fair's history at our August meeting. The first fair was held October 17, 1850 on a property on North Main St in Mt Gilead. The current fairgrounds property (or part of it) was purchased in 1867.
The junior fair board was first formed in the 1930s. Originally, membership included one boy or one girl from each of the 16 townships. Today, more than 40 junior fair board members represent 4-H, FFA, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts.
We enjoyed the PowerPoint presentation showing photos of the buildings and people at the fair in the distant and not so distant past.
Russ Mayer is a former jr fair board member and a current advisor. Former jr fair board member, Bill Hershner, and current jr fair board member, Emma Artrip, were also present. Many of those present shared that they had memories as an exhibitor at the Morrow County Fair.