It's National 211 Day!
On National 211 Day, Louisiana 211 commemorates record-breaking year and its commitment to continue to serve the state
In 2020, 211 usage in Louisiana jumped a staggering 220%
Within the last year, Louisiana 211 has connected more individuals with help and resources than ever before. In fact, since March 2020 when Louisiana 211 was tapped to be the official COVID hotline by Louisiana Department of Health, 211 usage has skyrocketed going up more than 220% in 2020, compared to 2019.
• More than 53% of the 290,002 calls in 2020 were from Louisianans seeking COVID-19 information, including mitigation information and testing sites (148,445 calls in total).
• Nearly 20% of the calls were from hurricane survivors seeking storm help (51,880 in total).
• Louisiana 211 provided 358,677 referrals in 2020 (many calls had multiple needs).
• Specialists relied on and connected callers with a network of more than 9,600 human service resources.
• In 2020, more than 93,000 people subscribed to Louisiana 211 key text words for instant replies with guidance from the State of Louisiana as part of the COVID and hurricane response efforts. (Ex: LACOVID to 898-211).
From Hello to Help, Louisiana 211 specialists are trained to address the root causes of a caller’s problem – whether it’s food, disaster assistance, crisis counseling, health care or housing. Research shows that without 211, callers can make an average of eight phone calls to different numbers before finding the services they need. Largely funded by United Ways, Louisiana 211 is a free service available to all, aimed at reducing the distance between the needs of Louisianans and solutions that exist within our communities.
Louisiana citizens can also text their zip code to 898-211 to reach Louisiana 211 via mobile text.