Help with spring planting in the community garden on April 4th.
My name is Robert Owens my wife , Louise Owens and i are now in charge of the East Ocean View Community Garden. I first want to thank you all for coming to the Holiday in the Garden celebration on December 7. It was an amzing success we estimate close to 300 people showed up.
So we are preceding forward with much planning for our spring planting on April 4th. We are working closely with Bon Secor and the civic league and with our Eco-advisor/Wildlife Specialist Laura Knipp to make the garden a place of education, entertainment, and relaxation.
Here is a brief summary of what is already occurring:
*We have removed a tree that was diseased and dying we are sad we had to removed it but it was necessary
*We will be adding two new chickasaw plums to replace the removed tree these two plums are native to Virginia and they will be arriving when they are ready to be put in the ground.
* We have 2 thornless Blackberries that will be added to the garden
*We have a high bush blueberry that will also be added
* After years of producing our grapevines have died and they will be replaced with 2 seedless concord grapevines it also will be arriving when it is ready eta 24th of February
* The centerpiece will be a showcase for native virginia plants which most are perennial in nature
* In April when it is time for our spring planting with the help of Operation Blessing we will be replacing few of our vegetable beds and the pizza garden box will be removed and replaced with a bricked herb garden
*We will be ordering various vegetables and herbs to be planted in our beds, soon.
* Also Louise, the co-chairman and event planner will be doing a reading, in the garden, of Beatrice Potter on April 11th at 10am for the kids
We are working on other plans and events in the garden through out the year dates and event are..TBD
With this being said we will be needing voluteers to help us with our spring cleaning and planting on April 4th there is much work to be done the more hands the faster the work can be done.
So please help us acheive our goal of making the garden a place of education, entertainment, and relaxation. It is a community garden so we want the community to be invested. And the vegetables and herbs will be for the community to enjoy. Feel free to message us