As we prepare for the first snow of the season, pelase read VDOT's press release on how to travel safely.
Ellen Kamilakis 703-638-2595
Jenni McCord 571-230-2926
Dec. 8, 2017
FIRST SNOW TO IMPACT ROADS STARTING FRIDAY PM
Forecast affects entire district, plan for slushy conditions
FAIRFAX— Virginia Department of Transportation and contract crews are preparing for northern Virginia’s first dose of winter weather, from Friday evening through Sunday morning.
Crews will complete two days of anti-icing of the roads by midday Friday. Where the storm is currently forecasted to arrive late Friday, there is the potential to see precipitation towards the tail end of rush hour. Drivers are asked to continue to monitor the forecast, and always plan for inclement conditions.
Once fully mobilized this evening, please watch for crews as they stage along roads prior to the storm. Crews will treat roads with salt and sand as needed once the storm begins Friday night, plow in areas where and if snow totals reach two inches, and will remain on duty throughout the course of the storm.
Drivers are asked to:
• Continue to check weather forecasts, as storm timing and intensity can change. Pavement temperatures are expected to drop below freezing tonight.
• Do not overdrive conditions; reduce speeds and use headlights.
• Be patient; remember that many fellow drivers are not comfortable driving in adverse weather conditions.
• Take it slow on bridges, ramps, and overpasses, and other known trouble spots.
• Ensure gas tanks and windshield wiper fluid tanks are full.
Stay informed of current road conditions and VDOT’s efforts:
• Visit www.virginiadot.org/novaemergency for the latest updates and resources from VDOT in northern Virginia
• Follow @vadotnova on Twitter
• Check www.511virginia.org/ or the 511 mobile app before you go for traffic conditions and lane closures
• Get more details on snow removal in northern Virginia
Before heading out, take time to update the emergency kit in your car. Here’s how: www.ready.gov/car
Latest News Releases Status Updates Jan. 2, 2017, 10:22 a.