Miller County Office of Emergency Management

Miller County Office of Emergency Management Our mission is to organize and manage resources and responsibilities dealing with all humanitarian aspects of emergencies.
(5)

Update: Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued June 9 at 9:15PM CDT until June 9 at 9:30PM CDT by NWS Shreveport LAAreas Aff...
06/10/2020

Update: Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued June 9 at 9:15PM CDT until June 9 at 9:30PM CDT by NWS Shreveport LA
Areas Affected: Little River, AR; Miller, AR; Bowie, TX
At 915 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Mandeville, or
near Texarkana, moving east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage to
roofs, siding, and trees.

Locations impacted include...
Texarkana, Garland, Mandeville, Genoa, Hervey and Homan.
For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

OEM wants to remind everyone to be diligent in doing your part to stop the spread of COVID-19. We, as a community, must ...
06/04/2020

OEM wants to remind everyone to be diligent in doing your part to stop the spread of COVID-19. We, as a community, must work together to stop this spread. It's not over yet. As of today there have been 49 positive cases in Miller County with one death. The cases are up 16% since last week, but so are recoveries at over 40. Prior to this week Miller County enjoyed 15 consecutive days where no new cases evolved so we want you to avoid being complacent and practice what you've learned to stay healthy. Stay alert, stay protected and you'll stay healthy!

Any Stanley and Rudy McJunkins have been selected to receive a NOAA weather radio courtesy of the Miller County Office o...
05/29/2020

Any Stanley and Rudy McJunkins have been selected to receive a NOAA weather radio courtesy of the Miller County Office of Emergency Management. Please call the OEM office at 870.703.8026 to claim your weather radio. You have three (3) days to respond to this message by calling the number listed. If you don't return the call, we'll select someone else to receive the radio.

05/22/2020

Interesting info on the 2020 Hurricane Outlook

NOAA Predicts an Above-Normal 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season, and Near- or Below- Normal Eastern and Central Pacific Hurricane Season

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Outlook
• An above-normal 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is expected, according to forecasters with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center.
• The outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season, which extends from June 1 through November 30.
• NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a likely range of 13 to 19 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence.
o An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.
• The combination of several climate factors is driving the strong likelihood for above-normal activity in the Atlantic this year.
o El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO) conditions are expected to either remain neutral or to trend toward La Nina, meaning there will not be an El Nino present to suppress hurricane activity.
o Also, warmer-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, coupled with reduced vertical wind shear, weaker tropical Atlantic trade winds, and an enhanced west African monsoon all increase the likelihood for an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season.
o Similar conditions have been producing more active seasons since the current high-activity era began in 1995.
• The Climate Prediction Center will update the 2020 Atlantic seasonal outlook in August prior to the historical peak of the season.
2020 Eastern Pacific Hurricane Outlook
• NOAA indicates a 75% combined chance of near- or below-normal season most likely for the Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season.
• There is a 40% chance of a near-normal season and a 35% chance of a below-normal season, followed by a 25% chance of an above-normal season, which runs from May 15th through November 30th.
• The 2020 eastern Pacific hurricane season is predicted to produce, with 70% probability for each range, 11 to 18 named storms, of which 5 to 10 are expected to become hurricanes, and 1 to 5 of those are expected to become major hurricanes.
• These ranges are centered slightly below the official NHC 1981-2010 seasonal averages of 15 named storms, 8 hurricanes, and 4 major hurricanes.
2020 Central Pacific Hurricane Outlook
• NOAA’s Central Pacific Hurricane Center and NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting a 75% chance of near- or below-normal tropical cyclone activity during the Central Pacific hurricane season.
• The 2020 outlook indicates a 25 percent chance of an above-normal season.
• For the season as a whole, 2 to 6 tropical cyclones are predicted for the Central Pacific hurricane region. This number includes tropical depressions, named storms and hurricanes.
o A near-normal season has 4 or 5 tropical cyclones.
• “This year we will likely see less activity in the Central Pacific region compared to more active seasons,” said Gerry Bell, Ph.D., NOAA’s lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at the Climate Prediction Center. “Less activity is predicted since ocean temperatures are likely to be near-average in the central and eastern Pacific Ocean where hurricanes form, and because El Nino is not present to increase the activity.”
• This outlook is a general guide to the overall seasonal tropical cyclone activity in the Central Pacific basin, and does not predict whether, or how many, of these systems will affect Hawaii. The hurricane season begins June 1 and runs through November 30.
Links
• NOAA Press Release
• NOAA/NWS National Hurricane Center and Central Pacific Hurricane Center
• Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Names
• Eastern North Pacific Tropical Cyclone Names
• Central Pacific Tropical Cyclone Names

CONTEST TIME!!!!!! ENTER HERE TO WIN!!!We’re in that time of year for severe weather and we at the Office of Emergency M...
05/18/2020

CONTEST TIME!!!!!! ENTER HERE TO WIN!!!

We’re in that time of year for severe weather and we at the Office of Emergency Management always try to remind our citizens to prepare for all weather situations. Early warning is your best protection wether it be phone alerts, TV and radio broadcasts or a weather alert radio. Miller County OEM will be giving away two Midland Weather Alert Radios to two people. All you have to do is like our page. At the end of this week, we’ll draw the names two people at random who have liked our page and present them with a weather radio!

Tornado warning central to north Miller County and Little River County until 5:45p
05/16/2020

Tornado warning central to north Miller County and Little River County until 5:45p

05/16/2020

Tornado Warning issued May 16 at 5:16PM CDT until May 16 at 5:45PM CDT by NWS Shreveport LA

Areas Affected: Miller, AR; Little River, AR

NWS: TORNADO WARNING in this area til 5:45 PM CDT. Take shelter now. Check media.

The National Weather Service in Shreveport has issued a* Tornado Warning for...Southeastern Little River County in southwestern Arkansas...Northwestern Miller County in southwestern Arkansas...* Until 545 PM CDT.* At 515 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornadowas located near Mandeville, or 8 miles east of Texarkana, movingnorthwest at 25 mph.HAZARD...Tornado.SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught withoutshelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Treedamage is likely.* This dangerous storm will be near...Texarkana around 535 PM CDT.Ogden around 545 PM CDT.Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include Homan.

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowestfloor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in amobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelterand protect yourself from flying debris.

05/16/2020
Tornado WATCH issued for Miller County until 9pm this evening. Cass and Bowie County under a Tornado WARNING until 4pm t...
05/16/2020

Tornado WATCH issued for Miller County until 9pm this evening. Cass and Bowie County under a Tornado WARNING until 4pm today.

A tornado watch has been issued for parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas until 9 PM CDT. Be sure to have a way to receive warnings.

Harvest Texarkana Regional Food Bank
05/15/2020

Harvest Texarkana Regional Food Bank

Do you know the power of $1? When you donate to Harvest Regional Food Bank, your impact is multiplied!

To donate, visit https://harvestregionalfoodbank.org/donate or call 870-774-1398.

If you have recovered from COVID-19, life share needs your plasma!Ask your health care provider for documentation of you...
05/14/2020
Home Page

If you have recovered from COVID-19, life share needs your plasma!
Ask your health care provider for documentation of your recovery and stop by Life Share.
You can help others with a plasma donation.
Check the link below for details.

With the cancellation of hundreds of blood drives, LifeShare is relying on donors to visit its network of donor centers across Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas. Each donor center is operating on extended hours due to the COVID-19 crisis.

05/14/2020
Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced a new text alert system with the ability to provide timely COVID-19 alerts and other criti...
05/13/2020

Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced a new text alert system with the ability to provide timely COVID-19 alerts and other critical guidance directly from the Arkansas Division Emergency Management to Arkansas residents.
Arkansans can opt-in to the new system today by texting ‘COVID19ARK’ to 67283.
“This is a free service from the Division of Emergency Management and RAVE Mobile Safety that will enable Arkansans to receive COVID-19 alerts and other guidance,” said Governor Hutchinson. “Participation in Smart911 will provide first responders additional information they need to ensure your safety and wellbeing.”
Residents who have opted in for alerts will also receive instructions to sign up for Smart911, a free service that allows individuals and families to provide key context to 9-1-1 call takers and first responders.
Through the Smart911 app or smart911.com, residents can create a Safety Profile that contains critical information including pre-existing conditions and quarantine status.
As Arkansas manages the COVID-19 outbreak and a surge in 9-1-1 calls, the information in these Safety Profiles allows 9-1-1 operators to proactively identify and communicate with those at greatest risk while also providing first responders the context and foresight they need to protect themselves from exposure and arrive on the scene fully informed.

Many many thanks to the great people of Cooper Tire who have gone above and beyond to ensure our First Responders and em...
05/13/2020

Many many thanks to the great people of Cooper Tire who have gone above and beyond to ensure our First Responders and emergency medical facilities here in Miller and Bowie Co. have the appropriate protective equipment! OEM provides a lot of the PPE to our local emergency services but has limited resources. Cooper Tire has stepped up, week after week to donate over 10,000 N95 protective masks and over 20,000 surgical masks. No doubt Cooper Tire is protecting our 1st Responders! Latest shipment received today.

The severe weather (tornado) sirens were tested today by OEM with no problems. We’re still in the severe weather season ...
05/06/2020

The severe weather (tornado) sirens were tested today by OEM with no problems. We’re still in the severe weather season and can expect more weather related issues. We want to remind everyone the sirens are activated locally when a weather threat such as a tornado is imminent and is meant to notify people outdoors. Miller Co OEM coordinates with Garland City, Fouke, Bowie Co and the Cities of Texarkana on activation.

OEM, in corporation with the cities of Fouke and Garland City, will test our early warning weather sirens today at noon.
05/06/2020

OEM, in corporation with the cities of Fouke and Garland City, will test our early warning weather sirens today at noon.

As our cities, county, region and state acknowledge directives and guidance from Governor Hutchinson and prepare to even...
05/04/2020

As our cities, county, region and state acknowledge directives and guidance from Governor Hutchinson and prepare to eventually resume our normal day to day operations, Miller County Emergency Management wants to remind everyone that it's important now, more than ever, to practice safe distancing and hygiene. Don't be complacent, protect yourself whether you work in the food service industry, provide a service like barber shop, body art studio, cosmetology, etc or provide a venue for multiple patrons, to follow these guidelines for safe interaction. follow this link for valuable information regarding the directives and guidance

https://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programs-services/topics/novel-coronavirus

Also look for info on a webinar for reopening a barbershop,body art studio, ect.

Tomorrow at 10am tune in here for a press conference regarding a Miller County and City of Texarkana Arkansas update per...
05/04/2020

Tomorrow at 10am tune in here for a press conference regarding a Miller County and City of Texarkana Arkansas update pertaining to COVID-19. As well as recently released directives and guidance from Governor Asa Hutchison and Arkansas Department of Health will be discussed.

Miller County Judge Cathy Hardin Harrison
05/01/2020

Miller County Judge Cathy Hardin Harrison

The Miller County Courthouse will reopen to the public Monday, May 4th at 8am. You will still enter the building through the South (4th street) entrance. Also, be prepared to have your temperature taken. If you are sick please stay home! If you are running a fever you will not be allowed to enter. Remember, most of the day to day business can be done over the phone.

Miller County Emergency Operations Center Update 04/30/20;*Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 in Miller County:  34**24 Recover...
04/30/2020

Miller County Emergency Operations Center Update 04/30/20;
*Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 in Miller County: 34*
*24 Recoveries

*Miller County Court House to Ease Restrictions.
Beginning Monday at 8am the Miller County Courthouse will begin to ease restrictions in that all offices, except the Circuit Judges, will be open to the public for business. Only the South Handicap entrance will be accessible and expect to be screened (temp) prior to entering. Note * All Circuit Court Judges will continue business by appointment only*

*City of Texarkana Arkansas; With regards to the previously held press conference of the Joint OEM, which included Miller County, concerning the recommend curfew for the City of Texarkana, this recommendation is no longer in place.

*Governor Asa Hutchinson Announces Directives for Restaurants; The directive takes in effect on Monday, May 11th, 2020. The Directive is attached to this release.

* Governor Asa Hutchinson Begins Lifting restrictions, The following announcement dates for directives on the following businesses & groups.
• May 1 – Beauty and Barber Salon Decision
• May 4- Places of Worship & Larger venue Decision

NOTE* The above are NOT opening dates, rather the announcement date for directives.

The Miller County Emergency Operations Center will continue to follow all directives from Governor Asa Hutchinson and the Arkansas Department of Health concerning the upcoming soft openings scheduled in the coming weeks.

*Drive Thru Screening Yesterday was a success, Wednesday, April 29th: Lansdell Family Clinic tested well over 200 people from the local area. Lansdell will continue all COVID-19 testing at their office located at 3809 East 9th Street. Contact 870-330-4385 for further information.

*Upcoming Press Conference on Tuesday May5th, 2020; 10am, located at the Texarkana Arkansas Police Training Room, 1st floor of the Bi-State. Information of Governors current directives will be discussed.

*We request all business within Miller County to recognize and adhere to directives provided by the Governors office and Arkansas Department of Health.

04/29/2020
US National Weather Service Little Rock Arkansas

US National Weather Service Little Rock Arkansas

We all know that timing is critical when preparing for severe weather. The main timeframe for severe weather Tuesday into Tuesday night will be from 7-8 PM across northwest Arkansas to roughly 4 AM across southeast Arkansas.

Storms will enter NW portions of the state first, then make their way southeastward and impact much of the state. Some hail is possible along with the potential for a few tornadoes (mainly across western Arkansas) but THE PRIMARY THREAT WITH TONIGHT'S THUNDERSORMS WILL BE DAMAGING WINDS! This means that winds in excess of 60-70 mph will be possible across a large portion of the state with some locations potentially seeing even higher wind speeds!

Please pay attention and prepare to seek shelter if Severe Thunderstorm Warnings are issued for your location. Damaging winds can be more damaging than tornadoes in some cases, especially when it comes to the extent of areas impacted.

Prepare now for nighttime severe weather across the state!

Severe thunderstorm watch for our area
04/29/2020

Severe thunderstorm watch for our area

04/28/2020

Reminder - Tomorrow April 29th
Drive-thru COVID-19 and antibody screening.
Landsdell Family Clinic at
Trinity Baptist Church Parking Lot 10a-4p.

Miller County Emergency Operations Center Update 04/28/20
04/28/2020

Miller County Emergency Operations Center Update 04/28/20

Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon and overnight. Some of the storms will be severe with large hail and damaging ...
04/28/2020

Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon and overnight. Some of the storms will be severe with large hail and damaging winds the main threats, as well as a few tornadoes possible. Far western Arkansas has been upgraded to a Moderate Risk of severe thunderstorms.

Address

1007 Jefferson
Texarkana, AR
71854

General information

This page is designed to be a medium for appropriate and relevant emergency management information and is not intended to be a response mechanism. Behavior, actions and comments deemed inappropriate or detrimental to emergency operations may result in a temporary or permanent ban for this social media page.

Opening Hours

Monday 09:00 - 17:00
Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00
Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00
Thursday 09:00 - 17:00
Friday 09:00 - 17:00

Telephone

(870) 772-2591

Website

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Miller County Office of Emergency Management posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Videos


Comments

North end of CR 33 Doddridge