IPHI is a values-driven venture. The following principles drive the work of the Institute:
• Protecting and improving the public’s health requires a health in all policies approach, as some of the most influential policies and programs impacting health come out of zoning, housing, education, human services, transportation, economic development, public works, parks & recreation, public safety and environment.
• Effective public health practice requires strong public and private sector collaboration.
• Creating healthy communities requires strategic action to address underlying social and economic determinants of health.
• Communities are healthy only when health is equitably distributed across all populations.
• Eliminating inequities in health will require innovative approaches and significant policy shifts that address the conditions in which people live, learn, work and play.