Even though he’s been in the news constantly for the last
year, there’s a lot we don’t know about the Libyan leader.
Here are some amazing facts about Muammar Gaddafi:
1. He shares a birthday (June 7) with Dean Martin, Tom
Jones, Prince, Bill Hader, and Allen Iverson.
2. His first car was a 1958 Ford Thunderbird hardtop. He
now owns a large collection of classic Thunderbirds,
including a 1960 hardtop/sunroof model with the 430
engine, of which only 377 were produced.
3. As per his decree, Libyan TV has a channel that
repeatedly plays only his favorite movie, The
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th
4. Prior to the US Embargo, his favorite town to vacation
in was Rochester, New York, largely because Gaddafi is
a great admirer of Millard Fillmore.
5. Every year on September 1, he celebrates the
anniversary of his coup by eating an entire squid for
lunch and drinking a cup of Turkish coffee for each
year he has been in office. These lunches are
broadcast nationwide on the Al Nadi Sports Channel.
6. Gaddafi often uses the various spellings of his name to
his advantage. For example, he has been known to
join the Columbia House record club up to 32 times at
7. In addition to Arabic, French, and English, Gaddafi was
at one time studying Klingon, and announced in 1991
his eventual plan to translate the Green Book into the
8. His favorite WWE wrestler is Joanie “Chyna” Laurer.
9. His parents made him play the alto saxophone in
junior high school. As a result, he has banned music
programs in all Libyan public schools.
10. He applied and was accepted to a graduate program in
atmospheric sciences at Howard University in
Washington, DC, but did not attend.
11. A long-time fan of Lionel Richie, he admitted during an
interview with Larry King that he listened to the album
Can’t Slow Down daily for almost two years after its
release in 1983, but was initially disappointed with
Dancing on the Ceiling , because he preferred the
album’s original proposed title, Say You, Say Me.
12. His score on the GRE in 1967 was 505 verbal / 485
13. Aside from the Green Book, his favorite books include
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James
Waller, The Gospel According to the Son by Norman
Mailer, and You’ll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again
by Julia Phillips.
14. He often bought and sold collector beanie babies on
eBay with the username “gandalf69″ until the US State
Department discovered it and shut down his account.
He is rumored to have amassed a collection of over
500,000 of them in a storage facility on the outskirts
of Tripoli. Beanie babies purchased from him that can
be verified are exceedingly rare and have sold for four
and five figures on the secondary market.
15. There is a Libyan law that prohibits anyone but
Gaddafi from playing as Colonel Mustard in the Parker
Brothers board game Clue . In Arabic translations of
the game, Colonel Mustard’s turn is first instead of
16. His favorite classic video game is Q-Bert. He owns a
restored coin-op version and his high score is
17. His customized Airbus A340 jet, which was captured
last month in Tripoli, contained a collection of all 41
Steven Seagal movies.
18. Gaddafi refuses to fly over any country with exactly
two vowels in its name that ends in a consonant. He
also avoids flying on Tuesdays, never eats fish when
traveling on ship, and will always travel with an even
number of bags.
19. He was long-time friends with Gary Coleman, and was
devastated after his death. He is still convinced that
Coleman was murdered by Mossad agents.
20. He bowled a perfect 300 on the night of his birthday in
1976. It was during official IBA league play, and he is
often seen wearing his official 300 ring.