08/30/2026
The Machine/Mechanic’s Shop
Until WWII the east end of the R.B McLean Lumber Co. site was reserved for locomotive logging. When truck logging was introduced and rail logging abandoned, the area was opened up for trucks. In 1952 the Mechanic’s Shop was built. The shop was wired for electricity, which was used for lighting and to run an electric drill and air compressor. The compressor was originally part of a milking machine. Other pieces in the shop included an electric lathe and grinder. The 6” vice saw on the north side of the workbench was purchased by Howard McLean from the Co-op for $20.00.
When McLean Mill was in the restoration process, the Mechanic’s Shop was in the best condition. Most of the work here focused on cataloging and sorting the nearly 7000 artifacts inside the shop.