The Youth in Policing Initiative is a partnership between the Ministry of Children, Communities & Social Services, the Toronto Police Services Board and the Toronto Police Service to create a meaningful work experience for youth aged 15-18 years, who reside in priority neighbourhoods within the City of Toronto.
The aim of the Youth in Policing Initiative is to promote youth participation in and exposure to the work environment through diverse, educational, productive and community-focused work assignments.
This program also enhances the link between the police and the neighbourhoods we serve. This initiative gives young people an opportunity to develop job skills while fostering positive community partnerships.
In order to be eligible for the program, youth:
• Must be a student between the ages of 15 and 18 years;
• Must not have any criminal charges pending before the court;
• Must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident;
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada;
• Must be attending school; and
• Must not have previously participated in any YIPI program
Additionally, youth must be permanent residents of one of the following neighbourhoods:
• Jane - Finch
• Regent Park
• Dorset Park
• Steeles - L’Amoreaux
• Weston – Mount Dennis
• Lawrence Heights
• Flemingdon Park - Victoria Village
• Crescent Town
• Eglinton East - Kennedy Park
• Scarborough Village
• Kingston - Galloway
• South Parkdale
• Westminster – Branson