12/06/2026
On this day, June 12th 1845, Cottenham Dissenters' Cemetery was formally opened. According to the local press, an assemblage of 500 to 600 people attended the ceremony, with addresses given by Rev T. Sutton (Ebenezer Chapel) and Rev J. Green (Old Meeting House).
The cemetery had been established by members of local nonconformist churches (Dissenters) in response to the difficulties they faced in burying their loved ones without interference from the established Church. A board of trustees was formed, and an acre of land on Lambs Lane (then known as Mill Road) was purchased from farmer James Graves for £280, with funds raised through public subscriptions from the nonconformist congregations.
The first burial in the cemetery was that of three-year-old Ann Norman, daughter of Richard and Molly Norman of Queenholme Farm. Ann died of whooping cough on June 8th and was laid to rest on June 12th 1845 - the same day as the opening. Her memorial carries the inscription: “The first interment in this Cemetery.”
Since then, the Dissenters' Cemetery has continued to serve as a place of rest and remembrance for the local community, with around 4,000 individuals recorded in its burial register.
Since 2015, the cemetery has been managed as a registered charitable organisation, overseen by volunteer trustees dedicated to ensuring it remains a peaceful resting place, available to all in Cottenham. In recent years, this work has included establishing a new cemetery extension to meet the future needs of the community.