29/08/2026
Street of the Week: Campbell Street
This street was built in the mid 1870s on what was then part of the Dudhope Estate. At the time the estate was owned by William MacBean Rankine, who inherited the estate from a distant relative, Richard Gardner in 1862. He was the second son of John Campbell, 9th Lord Kilberry, and changed his name, presumably when he inherited the estate. His grandmother was Margaret Rankine. The estate was sold to Dundee Corporation in1920 and used for multiple housing schemes in the 1920s and 1930s.
Initially the street just went between Cobden Street (then called Union Place) and Gardner Street. It was extended to Gardner Street in the 1920s when the Dudhope Flatted homes were built, and then Law Crescent when the Lawside homes were built in the 1930s.