02/05/2026
THE ECOLOGICAL EVOLUTION OF DRAKE’S ISLAND – THE 1750 TO 1780 BUILDING PROGRAMME
In 1689, just after the Island ceased to be used as a State Prison William III and Mary II ascended to the throne. In 1690 construction began at the Naval Dockyard at Devonport and a number of surveys were done on the defences of the Sound to protect the new Dockyard. The Island guarding the entrance to the Tamar was recommended for a number of improvements. Work began in 1750 and was completed in 1780 and a number of buildings constructed over that period remain to this day.
Between 1750 and 1780 the vaulted entranceway and inner courtyard were built. The outer defensive wall was extended out then turned at a right angle to link into the original outer wall. This enclosed the old landing stage and stone steps that led up to the entrance arch. This was backfilled and paved over to create an outer courtyard. A new vaulted entrance way led up to the new outer courtyard with the old entrance arch remaining and giving access to the inside of the Island although the old Gunners Barrack over the Arch and the Guard Room next to it were demolished. This led to a loss of cliff habitat as well as a small part of the marine habitat.
In 1750 part of the area at the west end of the Island was cleared and levelled to make room for the first part of the Soldiers Barrack to be built along with a new Master Gunner’s House and Stores which also housed a guardroom and a couple of holding cells. By 1780 the Tudor Keep and Master Gunner’s Barrack at the top of the Island were demolished and replaced by an upper battery of guns along with furnaces for heating the shot for the Guns. The Island is only 400 metres long by 100 metres wide so this affected a significant amount of the land on the Island. The outer defensive walls were strengthened and raised during this period.
Whilst it is unlikely that any new flora was established on the Island, Canadian Geese had been introduced to England by Charles II in 1665 and his lead was followed by many landowners. Although they do ground nest on the Island today it is unlikely they used the Island until the military moved out due to the lack of ground cover available to hide the goslings back then in the early days and weeks after they hatched. Even today there are often years when no goslings survive due to predation by Gulls and Rats. Brown Rats had also arrived in the UK by 1730 and would have had ample opportunity to get across to the Island on the boats that were involved with transferring men and materiel for the building programmes. They would have replaced any of the smaller Black Rats that may have been established on the Island. The Island had a permanent Garrison by then and its food larders, pantries and the Soldiers Canteen along with the waste produced would have provided an ample food source together with scavenging on any gulls or pigeons they could catch. Although there are no reports of Rat infestations when the Military was garrisoning the Island there were rat problems a couple of times when the Adventure Training Centre was open. Once in 1976 and again in 1987 that resulted in the Kitchens being closed down as staff refused to work in them. Brown Rats still inhabit the Island today though in small numbers. They are seen all around the Island though mainly in the Casemates area and most probably nest in the rock crevices above the high water mark. They will scavenge on birds eggs, injured or dead birds and any young they can catch as well any left over food that isn’t properly disposed of after events have been run on the Island.
Overall this phase building programme would have meant a loss of habitat and only the Brown Rats may have established themselves on the Island during the period though probably in limited numbers as the only water supply on the Island would have been from the drains and rain water catchment tanks. The tanks would have been covered so not easily accessible but the rain would have provided some limited water. The next post will cover the expansion of the Barracks over the period 1830 to 1846.