Brief History of Adairville -
(Taken from the 1976 Adairville Strawberry Festival Brochure)
Logan county was one of the first seven counties organized immediately after the admission of Kentucky in the Union as a state, and in the same year, 1792. The 13th in order of formation, it was taken from part of Lincoln County, and embraced nearly all of the state lying south of Green River. Since then, 28 counties have been wholly or partially carved from its territory. Located in the southwestern section of the state with the Tennessee state line forming its souther border, the county was named in honor of General Benjamin Logan who was an early pioneer in Kentucky and a hero of the Indian Wars.
Adairville, located 12 miles south of Russellville between the two forks of Red River and within one mile of the Tennessee state line, is on the direct road from Russellville to Nashville, and situated in a fertile section of farming country. Adairville, which was first settled and known as Kilgore's Station, had its name changed by General Robert Ewing in honor of John Adair, who served in the Indian wars and commanded the Kentucky troops at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815, and who was Governor of Kentucky from 1820 to 1824.
Settlements had been made at Adairville from the earliest beginning of the county's history. In fact, the earliest settlements of the county were made in the Adairville areas, as early as 1783. In 1792, Robert Ewing made his home near Adairville and he and Robert Traughber laid off the town on November 10, 1818. It became incorporated in 1833.
As early as June, 1800, the Red River Meeting House began its revivals and continued as a Cumberland Presbyterian congregation until 1916, when the building was finally torn down. However, a group promoted a restoration of the church and in 1959 a replica was erected at the original site.
On May 30, 1806, the famous duel between Andrew Jackson and Charles Dickinson was fought about two miles west of Adairville. After the duel, Jackson stopped at the Miller Spring and asked a slave woman for a drink of buttermilk. Dickinson, who had been shot straight through the body near the waist, was carried in a house nearby, where he suffered terribly all day and died that night about nine o'clock in agony. Jackson had been wounded by a bullet which broke several of his ribs and wounded the lung. The wound never fully healed, and plagued him for years afterwards. It was this wound which brought on the disease which finally caused his death.
The home of George Hite was near Adairville. His first wife was an aunt of Jesse and Frank James and the outlaws were said to have visited at his home.
Another noted attraction of Adairville was the beautiful old brick house build in 1862 by Adairville's most prominent citizen, Dr. James R. Bowling, who married General Ewing's daughter and became the leading physician of the community for 50 years.
On February 13, 1860, the Adairville Male and Female Academy opened as the first institution of learning for the town, but closed soon after the Civil War. Private and common schools existed through the year and in 1913 the Adairville High School became an approved high school. this building burned and in 1931 the present building was erected at a cost of $70,000.
In 1870 Adairville had a population of 214, it dropped to 148 in 1880. The present population is listed as 1068.
Around 1880, Adairville was said to have consisted of a weekly newspaper, a woolen mill, a grist mill, two hotels, six general stores, several groceries, a meat market, two drug stores, a millinery shop, and a saloon. There were also Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian churches and a public school.
A weekly newspaper, The Adairville Clipper, was established in 1878, then became the Adairville Banner in 1894, and finally, in 1901, the Adairville Enterprise. The last issue of the Adairville Enterprise was published February 21, 1974 by the editors, Marion and Bettie Barrett.
In 1879 telegraph service came to Adairville; a stage also ran daily from Russellville. Railroad service began in January, 1884, and there usually were two trains daily each way. The last train ran November 30, 1938, and the next year the track was torn up.
In 1886, the Peroples Bank organized, followed by the First National Bank in 1907. These two banks merged in 1965 and the bank was given the name of Adairville Banking Company.
During the decade from 1910 to 1920, Adairville was the scene of an annual fair and horse. Since 1947, the town participates in a Strawberry Festival, which is held for three days in the month of May at the strawberry picking season.
At on time, there were seven to***co warehouses in which to***co was prized. In the 1930's there were only two to***co warehouses and a to***co factory. All of these closed in the late thirties.
There have been several changes around the square since 1880. Today there are three groceries, a bank, library, upholstery shop, insurance company, ceramic shop, drive-in eating place, washeteria, used furniture store, record shop, auto parts shop, restaurant, feed mill, three service stations, post office, city hall, Western Auto store, two beauty shops, hardware store, fabric shop and a used car lot. The town has two plants---Auburn Hosiery Mill #2, which was opened in 1946 by Roger Kimball and Odom's Sausage Company, Inc of Kentucky, which was opened in 1964 with Jim Wilkerson as manager. Presently, the hosiery mill employes 75 people and the sausage plant has 105 employess. There are seven churches at the present time --two Baptist,two Methodist, Church of Christ, Independent church of Christ, and Immanuel Church of Christ.
Today Adairville Elementary School from Grades 1-3 located near the southern part of town and the Adairville High School for Grades 4-12 located near the northern part of the town have a total enrollment of 600 pupils and a faculty of 32.
The exploration of Cook's Cave (now known as Savage Cave) has added much interest to the history of this community.
Through an active Chamber of Commerce, Ladies Auxiliary, City Council, Fish & Game Club, Band Boosters Club, church and youth organizations, Adairville is a thriving town which is growing yearly, proud of its past, and ready for the future.