A Brief History of the Lincoln National Forest
The Lincoln National Forest traces its origins through fifteen presidential proclamations and four presidents. Beginning in July 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt established the Lincoln Forest Reserve which was adjusted through four proclamations, until it reached the modern boundaries of today’s Smokey Bear Ranger District. In 1905 with the establishment of the U.S. Forest Service, forest reserves began to be called National Forests. The Guadalupe and Sacramento National Forests were established in April of 1907. In March 1909 they were combined and became the Alamo National Forest. President Calvin Coolidge combined the Lincoln and the Alamo National Forest on July 17, 1924. At this point, the previously separate Southeastern New Mexico National Forests were under one banner, the Lincoln National Forest.
The Lincoln National Forest covers lands in the Capitan Mountain Range, Guadalupe Mountain Range and Sacramento Mountain Range, which includes the Jicarilla, Patos, Veracruz and White Mountains. It encompasses environments from the desert shrubs at the floor of the Chihuahuan Desert through forests of Piñon, Pine and Juniper, to sub-alpine grasslands above the tree-line.