Where do you go for help when you’re uncertain or confused? True wisdom is the capacity to see life from God’s viewpoint and respond according to biblical principles. Six steps will help us discover everything the Lord has to teach us.
1. Meditate on God’s Word. The more we read and ponder what God says in His Word, the more we’ll understand His mind regarding the various circumstances we face each day.
2. Obey God’s Word. Wisdom comes as a result of adopting God’s point of view to the best of our ability and responding in obedience to His commands and principles.
3. Pray for wisdom. James 1:5 says, “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”And the next verse says we “must ask in faith.”
4. Become observant. The goal is to compare what we see around us with what the Lord says in the Bible. When we have this mindset, even little, inconsequential creations can teach us something valuable
5. Associate with those who are wise (Proverbs 13:20). We must find the people who cause us to want to know the Lord more deeply. They stimulate us to serve and obey God more readily and increase our hunger for the Word.
6. Heed godly counsel. We all need advice now and then. In circumstances when we can’t see exactly what God would have us do, we should listen to someone with godly wisdom—a person whose life is governed by Scripture.
Adapted from the “The Answers We Seek” by Charles F. Stanley