Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune - Our Story
During World War II, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune leaders recognized the need for medical care to service a new group of warfighters and their families. On May 1, 1943, United States Naval Hospital New River was officially commissioned to care for patients. This day marked the beginning of the dedicated, compassionate care that has remained stadfast for the last 75 years. Throughout its history, Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune (NMCCL) has expanded its breadth of care to include educating future health care providers through its award-winning Family Medicine Residency Program, state-of-the-art care for the tinies of patients in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and to those fighting the invisible wounds of war through a holistic approach at Intrepid Spirit Concussion Recovery Center, and those fighting the invisible wounds of war through a holistic appraoch at Intrepid Spirit Concussion Recover Center.
NMCCL has evolved over the past 75 years to focus on providing quality training opportuniteis to better prepare those medical-care warfighters for deployment, always making the right choice, and treating each patient like family. More than two dozen leadership triads have stood at the helm of the medical center, each continuing to challenge and push their staff, both active duty and civilian. The encouragement of these leaders has brought about key elements of training and processes that have propelled the medical center to hold the title of “Medical Center of the Marine Corps.”
The staff, patients, and leadership show have walked the halls of NMCCL stand proudly behind the values and mission that have bolstered its longevity and reputation. NMCCL will continue to place the preparation of the warfighter at the forefront of its purpose, strive to treat everyone like family, and always pursue doing t he right thing in order to stand tall for another 75 years of patient care.