FYI: Position: Head of School (HOS), HudsonWay Immersion School
HudsonWay Immersion School (HWIS) has the reputation as the “best Mandarin and Spanish immersion program in NYC and NJ” due to its unique full immersion model, early start in preschool, teacher training and immersion leadership. Reflecting that reputation, the school’s mission is to develop students as flexible thinkers, culturally aware and linguistically capable in at least two languages. HWIS received Accreditation from the Middle States Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools (MSA-CESS) effective on December 1, 2020. (www.hwis.org)
HWIS, serving children ages 2 to Grade 8, is the oldest independent Mandarin and Spanish immersion program in the NY/NJ area with two campuses – one on the upper west side of Manhattan, and one in NJ.
The Head of School is a leader who is a strong collaborative builder of people, possesses pedagogical high standards, and is passionate about the benefits of immersion education. The HOS will oversee both campuses including a total of about 200 students from preschool through Grade 8. The school recently expanded both of its locations to larger facilities to support a doubling of enrollment to approximately 200 students per location. The school has a strong reputation and is poised for growth with committed leadership. Reporting to the HOS will be a team of three administrators distributed between the 2 campuses: Assistant Director – NJ campus, Director of Chinese Programs and Director of Early Childhood – NJ Campus. The position will be subject to a review by the school’s board which consists of two founders and one investor.
The successful candidate will possess many of the following experiences and skills:
• MA in Education related field (Administration, Curriculum & Instruction, Linguistics, etc.
• Prior administrative experience in a leadership role in an independent school
• K-8 and early childhood experience
• Experience developing new programs such as middle school, after school and clubs
• Excellent community-outreach and relationship building skills
• Extensive knowledge of curriculum development; new research and technology enhancements
• Ability to create and sustain positive, ambitious school culture among staff and students
• Ability to develop teachers - mentor, provide feedback and constructive criticism, corrective action, coaching and discipline if necessary
• An understanding of the use of technology in supporting learning
• Experience in assessment and achievement data analysis
• Ability to partner with HR, Accounting, Admissions, Facilities, etc. in upholding and enforcing School policies and procedures
• Excellent communication skills– clear, direct communication with tact and professionalism
• Highly organized and attentive-to-detail, ability to manage administrative paperwork
Ideal but not required:
• Experience with an immersion school
• Bilingual/fluent in one of the languages of instruction – Mandarin or Spanish
Strategic Planning, Vision-setting, Leadership
• Inspires a culture of mission-driven excellence
• Helps formulate performance management and culture of accountability
• Leads in developing the school’s long-term strategic plan
• Partners with owners collaboratively to maximize effectiveness of organization
• Builds relationships to promote the school
• Actively contributes to enrollment and exmissions efforts
Staff and Program Development
• Manages and supervises all full and part-time staff
• Ensures that school’s curriculum and programs are evolving to meet student needs
• Ensures that school appearance and day to day management of operations is smooth
• Coordinate and oversee staff development and training that is aligned with New York and New Jersey State Standards, and the school’s curriculum
• Conducts regular staff meetings
• Oversees school data reporting systems and data analysis to inform instructional practice
• Effectively recruits and retains student population
• Effectively recruits and retains teacher population
• Oversee other programs such as after school, extended care, summer camp and Mommy & Me
• Works with high schools to develop feeder programs in support of ex-missions
• Works with licensing regulatory bodies
• Builds strong and positive parent community
• Maintains an open-door policy for parents
• Participates in family conferences when appropriate
• Works with the parent association
• Develops the school’s annual budget
• Tracks and approves all purchases
• Assures proper reporting of financials to owners
Policies and Procedures
Provides regular updates to founders/investor on:
• Policies and procedures
• Curriculum development and achievement
• Parent satisfaction
• HR plan - organizational plan, performance
• All instructional teachers; a diverse cultural and bilingual employee base
• Administrative – finance, custodial, HR, admissions & marketing, office management
• Parent volunteers
This is a full-time 12-month position to start July 1, 2021. Position offers a competitive salary along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, FSA, 401K, PTO, etc.
Please email cover letter and resume with Head of School in subject line to [email protected] by January 1, 2021.
HWIS is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. We actively encourage all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation to apply.
We regret that we will not be able to respond to every applicant. Only those of interest will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in HWIS.
HudsonWay Immersion School is a top private, co-ed Pre-K to middle school offering language immersion in Mandarin and Spanish at its NJ and NY campuses.