08/18/2026
~ Purity Ice Cream Shop and Candy Kitchen ~
Purity Ice Cream and Candy Kitchen originally opened its doors in 1912 on Franklin Street. It was founded by George (pictured above to the left) and Sam Sardis, who were Greek immigrants that came to the United States in their teens. The shop’s first location was a small building next to the Lillian Theater, which is where the Roxy Theater is now. In 1918, the business had experienced such tremendous growth that it moved to a larger location on Franklin St. Purity Ice Cream proudly proclaimed that their Ice Cream was manufactured each day to ensure fresh and delicious ice cream. Their ice cream was made with milk and cream from Montgomery County dairymen. By 1924, Purity Ice cream announced that they had purchased 15,000 gallons of dairy products from the local community each year alone. Visitors from other communities, such as Guthrie, Dickson, Hopkinsville, and Charlotte, contributed to Purity Ice Cream’s success, and the business responded by purchasing a refrigerator truck to deliver ice cream from Montgomery County to these surrounding communities. Oftentimes, Purity Ice Cream advertised and made important announcement in the Leaf-Chronicle. When World War II started, Purity Ice Cream announced that they were experiencing an ice cream shortage. Although they could remain in business, they chose to cooperate with wartime rations proudly and enthusiastically, which limited the quantity of ice cream they could produce. Instead, they often encouraged citizens to buy government war bonds. The Sardis Brothers retired in the early 1950s, and Purity Ice Cream and Candy Kitchen closed shortly after.
*Follow us on Instagram for additional weekly content
*To view our collections database, please visit https://mcarchives.libraryhost.com/
*To view our digital collections, please visit https://cdm17128.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/
(Image from the Millennium Commission Collection)