In 1900 the first student body organization at Oregon Agricultural College was unanimously voted into being with subsequent faculty approval. the organization was called the Student Assembly. Charles H. Horner was elected the first president. Throughout the early years of the 20th century this student body supervised The Barometer, Oratory and Debate clubs, Athletics and the Student Council. The Student Council's duty was to formulate and enforce regulations and discipline as directed by the student body.
A brief history:
In the 1920's the term "Associated Students" was adopted and the student council became known as the Associated Students of Oregon State College.
During World War II ASOSC was involved with raising more then $1 million in U.S. War Bonds.
In 1944 Marguerite Johnson (already notable for being the first woman elected Vice President) became the first woman President of ASOSC.
In 1948 the ASOSC Senate was established.
In 1959 the ASOSC passed the resolution to change the name of the school from Oregon State College to Oregon State University.
In the early 1960's ASOSC lobbied the Oregon Legislature to change for the institution's name to Oregon State University, and on March 6, 1961 Governor Mark Hatfield signed legislation officially changing the name to Oregon State University.
In the 1970's ASOSU helped create the Black, Hispanic, and Native American Student Unions, and their subsequent resource centers.
1974 The ASOSU Office of Legal Advising was established.
1977 ASOSU approved funding for a gay student association.
1987 The Minority, Women and Gay and Lesbian Student Affairs Task Forces were established.
1988 Office of Legal Advocacy was established. Ride Share, a precursor to the SafeRide Program was established.
1990's: Textbook Exchange service established.
ASOSU won a 10 year long legal battle against OSU over student health insurance money. OSU was required to pay all of ASOSU's legal fees and was chastised for threatening students with criminal charges.
2000's: ASOSU was involved with the installation of the blue lights around campus.
2004: Queer Resource Center was established.
This is abridged history of ASOSU leaves out many important things that ASOSU was involved with over the decades. A more complete history will be available on the ASOSU website.