There has been a generous outpouring of support from the local community asking for ways to help the vulnerable Afghans being welcomed and temporarily sheltered at Fort McCoy. While the American Red Cross is aggressively working to meet the immediate needs of our growing population, there are many things the local community can do to help.
If you are able, here a ways to support the Afghan refugees here in Wisconsin:
• Operation Wisconsin Joy is creating a connection from the Green Bay area directly to Fort McCoy. They are filling a moving truck this week! Two drop off locations are: Our Savior Lutheran Church at 120 S. Henry St, Green Bay and Faith Lutheran at 2335 S. Webster Ave, Green Bay. Items collected at these sites are being brought to Fort McCoy on September 13th. More information, including the donation list, can be found at https://oslc-gb.org/article/operation-wisconsin-joy
• In part of Operation Wisconsin Joy, the Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Green Bay has a drop off location at 1825 Riverside Drive, Bona Hall, Green Bay, WI from Monday-Thursday 9am-4pm. In order for the items to be delivered to Fort McCoy, all items must arrive at Catholic Charities by 4 PM on September 30th. More information can be found online: https://catholiccharitiesgb.org/afghan-assistance
• The American Red Cross (1-800-RED-CROSS) has more than 50 personnel on the ground at Fort McCoy to provide critical care and help to our Afghan guests. Your financial gifts will help the American Red Cross continue to fund efforts to help the people affected by this crisis: www.redcross.org/donate/donation.html/
• Team Rubicon partnered with the American Red Cross to coordinate local volunteers and donors throughout the Wisconsin community to improve the well-being of our Afghan guests. More information about Team Rubicon and how to volunteer is available at https://teamrubiconusa.org/volunteer/.
• Catholic Charities of the Diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin, launched a campaign to provide assistance (https://cclse.org/afghanistan-refugee-assistance/). They are accepting donations at 3710 East Avenue South in La Crosse, and they have a gift registry set up through https://smile.amazon.com/gp/clpf/ref=smi_se_clpf_rd_clpf or by searching AmazonSmile charities lists. Amazon Smile allows donors to purchase needed items and have them shipped directly.
Thank you for your continued efforts as we band together - military and civilian - to share the hope of a new start to those in need.