The Richland Township Fire Department was organized in 1922, as one of the earliest fire departments in Saginaw County. Richland Township Fire Department covered the following Townships: Richland, Fremont, Ingersoll (Midland County), Swan Creek, James, and Thomas. In 1963, Thomas Township and James Township Fire Departments were organized and Swan Creek Township joined the Tri Township Fire District in St. Charles.
Presently we cover 36 square miles in Richland Township, 24 square miles in Fremont Township, and 6 square miles in Ingersoll Township. The approximate population for all three coverage areas is 7,500. We have a mutual aid pact with all Saginaw County Fire Departments, giving us access to all their Fire Fighters and equipment, if needed.
Our current coverage area:
Richland Township Fire Department is funded by a special assessment in Richland Township and contract fees with Fremont and Ingersoll Townships.
The Fire Department's headquarters are located at 1099 N. Hemlock Road, Hemlock, Michigan 48626. It is our third station since organization and was built in 1986, replacing one that was built in 1948, which replaced the original station which was built in 1922. Our equipment consists of two-class A pumpers, one water tender, two rescue units, and two brush units.
Richland Township Fire Department responds to approximately 350 alarms per year. Richland Township Fire Department responds to priority medical calls to assist Mobile Medical Response (MMR), the area ambulance service, with pre-hospital emergency treatment. Richland Township Fire Department hires Fire Fighters on an as needed basis. Applications are available on our website or at the Richland Township Administration Office, 1180 North Hemlock Road, Hemlock, Michigan.