08/07/2026
The Darlington Schoolhouse was built in the year 1891 as a gift from Theodore Havemeyer and Alfred B. Darling as a gift to the town and operated as a schoolhouse until the 1940's. The building was subsequently used as a dance academy and a carpentry shop for a time, but then remained vacant for almost 40 years.
the Township of Mahwah and the Trail Conference began to collect funds in order to purchase the now historic landmark, in hopes of restoring and renovating the building to be used as the new headquarters for the Trail Conference.The Trail Conference and the Township of Mahwah finally purchased the building in 2007 and began working to renovate the old school house.
The renovation took place in two phases. Phase 1 was done to ensure the structural stability of the building and was completed in 2012. In phase 2, which was completed in 2015, the renovation and revitalization of the interior of the building was completed, and a two-story addition 3700 square-foot addition was added.
This incredibly large project was completed on March of 2015 and the new headquarters’ doors were officially opened on March 25, 2015.