Historic Maryville

Historic Maryville This page features historical pictures, documents, other ephemera pertaining to Maryville, Tennessee which was founded on July 11, 1795.

This photograph was taken on August 3, 1923, in New Providence Church Cemetery during a ceremony dedicating the bronze s...
08/21/2026

This photograph was taken on August 3, 1923, in New Providence Church Cemetery during a ceremony dedicating the bronze standards placed at the grave of Jesse Wallace (1767–1854). Wallace served in the Continental Line during the Revolutionary War and later became an attorney. Members of the Mary Blount Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution attended the ceremony.

From left to right are Maj. William A. McTeer, William S. Wallace, James W. Post, John A. Wallace, and William E. Parham.

Maj. William Anderson McTeer (1843–1925) represented the Society of the Sons of the Revolution and served as master of ceremonies. During the Civil War, McTeer enlisted as a private in Company A of the 3rd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment in the Union Army. He later wrote a history of New Providence Presbyterian Church, published in 1921.

William Sumner Wallace (1869–1937) was a Maryville businessman who owned a farm near the intersection of Montvale and Farris roads. He was raised on the farm of his father, Capt. Theophilus Fletcher Wallace (1841–1923), located off Blockhouse Road. During the Civil War, Capt. Wallace served in the 2nd Tennessee Cavalry Regiment in the Union Army. William Sumner Wallace’s great-great-grandfather, John Wallace (1750–1793), was killed at the Battle of Hightower—sometimes called the Battle of Etowah Cliffs—during the Cherokee–American wars near present-day Rome, Georgia.

James William Post (1860–1929) was a great-grandson of Jesse Wallace. His father, Dr. John Calvin Post (1803–1873), married Martha Thompson, a daughter of Rebekah (Wallace) Thompson (1789-1845) and William H. Thompson. Martha was raised in the Thompson-Brown House, which stands across Lamar Alexander Parkway from what is now Prisma Health Blount Memorial Hospital. The historic residence is now occupied by the Cades Cove Preservation Association. Post managed the Morton Butler Land and Timber Company, which conducted operations in the Great Smoky Mountains.

John Ashley "Johnny" Wallace (1878–1967), a son of Joshua Landon Wallace (1842–1908) and Nancy M. (Butler) Wallace (1855–1887), lived off U.S. Highway 411 on part of a farm that his paternal grandfather, John Wallace (1803–1863), purchased from John Fruit Hannah (1797–1868) in 1837. He was a second cousin of William Sumner Wallace. Initially a farmer, Wallace became a real estate developer when U.S. Highway 411—then known locally as New Niles Ferry Road—was constructed around 1930.

Wallace’s daughter Muriel (Wallace) Huddleston McCulloch operated Travelers Restaurant (currently Dairy Queen is on lot), which flourished during the 1950s and 1960s and introduced Kentucky Fried Chicken to Blount County. In 1960, part of Wallace’s farm was developed as Wallace Hill Golf Course. His son-in-law Robert Homer “Pete” Hitch (1909–1980) managed the course. Hitch was married to Wallace’s other daughter, Kathleen Wallace (1909–2002), affectionately known as “Mama Hitch.” In 1990, Mama Hitch sold the golf course to developers who created the Royal Oaks community. The golf course at Royal Oaks closed in 2018.

William Edmund Parham (1860–1946) was a manufacturer, educator, banker, public official, and, most notably, a historian. He came to Maryville from Knoxville in December 1865, shortly after the Civil War. He attended Maryville College and played on the college’s first baseball team.

In 1877, Parham entered business with his father, William Thomas Parham (1833–1922), who operated a woolen mill near the present-day Los Amigos Restaurant. The mill property also encompassed the present site of the Blount County Public Library on what was sometimes called Parham Hill. Parham helped incorporate the People’s Telephone Company and also worked for ALCOA.

He represented Blount County in the Tennessee Senate from 1909 to 1910 and authored the first compulsory school law enacted by the Tennessee General Assembly. He also served as a Blount County justice of the peace, a position now known as county commissioner. Above all, Parham was a dedicated historian. He wrote numerous newspaper columns under the pen name “Tab” and compiled genealogical information on many Blount County families. At the time of his death, he was described as the “Map of Maryville.”

Did You Know?Johnson & Johnson, founded in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in 1886, became widely known during the Spanish–Am...
07/31/2026

Did You Know?

Johnson & Johnson, founded in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in 1886, became widely known during the Spanish–American War for producing sterile surgical dressings and other wound-care products that helped save the lives of wounded soldiers. The company later became closely associated with one of the world’s most recognizable trademarks—the Band-Aid brand.

One of the company’s founders, Robert Wood Johnson (1845–1910), married Evangeline Brewster Armstrong (1865–1919) in Maryville on June 27, 1892. Their wedding took place at “Twin Oaks,” the residence of the bride’s maternal uncle and aunt, Charles N. Simmons and Jane (Gifford) Simmons (1834–1927), both natives of New York. The residence, pictured below, stood at the eastern corner of Simmons Street—named for the family—and West Lamar Alexander Parkway.

The family also maintained a professional connection to Johnson & Johnson. Jane Simmons’s son, Dr. Bert Gifford Simmons (1857–1927), worked as a chemist for the company. He also constructed several bungalow-style houses in the Lord Street and Simmons Street area of Maryville.

The Simmons family also owned the downtown Maryville building that now houses Quality Financial Concepts, a business owned and operated by Doug and Teresa Horn. During the family’s ownership, the property was known as the Simmons Building. From 1914 to 1919, it housed one of Maryville’s earliest motion-picture theaters, the Dreamland Theatre. The Dreamland was succeeded by the Princess Theatre, which operated there from 1919 into the 1920s. Emery’s Five & Dime moved into the building in 1930, and local attorney Russell R. Kramer (1888–1966) purchased the property in 1945. Kramer’s son, Roy Foster Kramer (1929-2025), later served as commissioner of the Southeastern Conference in collegiate athletics.

These are the actual words, in the original handwriting, taken directly from the act book of the Territory South of the ...
07/11/2026

These are the actual words, in the original handwriting, taken directly from the act book of the Territory South of the River Ohio that established the town of Maryville on July 11, 1795. The original act book is preserved at the Tennessee State Library and Archives.

Happy Birthday, Maryville 🎉🎉

07/10/2026

Due to a high chance of rain tomorrow, the downtown Maryville walking tour will be replaced with an indoor presentation on downtown Maryville by Mark Bennett at Two Doors Down, located at 118 E Broadway Avenue. The presentation will begin one hour later than originally scheduled, at 11:00 a.m.

07/08/2026

In the event of inclement weather on Saturday, July 11, the downtown Maryville walking tour will be replaced with an indoor presentation on downtown Maryville by Mark Bennett at Two Doors Down, located at 118 E Broadway Avenue. The presentation will begin one hour later than originally scheduled, at 11:00 a.m.

07/03/2026

🇺🇸 America 250🇺🇸

Revolutionary War soldier, John Craig (1764–1852), and other early settlers who also served in the war, including John Duncan and Joseph Tedford, came to what is now Maryville by way of the Great Indian War and Trading Path, chiefly from Augusta and Rockbridge counties in Virginia. In the summer of 1785 or 1786, they settled on the bluff overlooking Pistol Creek, where the Blount Partnership is currently located. According to local tradition, they built four cabins near the present corner of Washington Street and Sevierville Road, formerly East Main Street. As tensions increased, the settlers enclosed the square for protection from Native American attacks. The spring necessary for their survival, pictured below, sat at the foot of the bluff.

Governor William Blount (1749–1800), for whom Blount County was later named, visited the fort in April 1793 and found approximately 280 men, women, and children living in small huts under deplorable conditions. Tradition holds that the fort encompassed about two acres within 15-foot palisade walls. A long stable was constructed within the enclosure to shelter livestock. A two-foot-wide walk was also built along the inside of the wall, about five feet below the top, allowing visibility from all sides.

Charles C. W. Norwood (1794–1888) later recalled the palisades and remembered being inside the fort before it was removed. Some structures associated with the fort remained there until the late 1800s. Norwood’s grandson, Reymond Patton (1880–1952), later dismantled one of the cabins and reused its materials in a barn that stood near the corner of Church Street and Norwood Street, not far from his grandfather’s residence.

New Providence Presbyterian Church was founded in the fort in 1786 by Archibald Scott. At least two weddings also took place within its confines: John Duncan (1752–1836) married Margaret “Peggy” Alexander Duncan (1762–1847) in 1788, and Joseph Tedford (1763–1825) married Mary “Polly” McNutt Tedford in 1793.

John Duncan’s farm was located on both sides of present-day Court Street and included the areas later known as Duncan Drive, Creekwood Addition, Jarvis Park, and other land near Vulcan Materials. Joseph Tedford later settled on a farm located on both sides of Old Niles Ferry Road, between Best Street and Sandy Springs Road, in the vicinity of present-day Foothills Elementary School and Montgomery Ridge Intermediate School.

In 1795, Craig received permission from the Blount County Quarterly Court to build a mill, which was located on what is now the south side of the Broadway viaduct near the Church Street extension. He also donated 50 acres of land to the Maryville commissioners for the establishment of the county seat. The new town was named Maryville in honor of Mary Grainger Blount (1761–1802), wife of Governor William Blount. Revolutionary War soldier and surveyor John Wilkinson (1763–1829) laid out the property into 120 lots in 1795 and resurveyed it in 1819. The original town extended from Cates Street to Norwood Street and from Pistol Creek, near the present Greenbelt, to former Craig Street, which ran behind the present location of Vienna Coffee House. The proceeds from the sale of these lots were used to help fund the construction of the county courthouse. Craig later relocated to Limestone, Alabama.

To commemorate Juneteenth, the painting shown below depicts William Bennett Scott Sr. (1821–1885). The work by Amy Campb...
06/19/2026

To commemorate Juneteenth, the painting shown below depicts William Bennett Scott Sr. (1821–1885). The work by Amy Campbell was based on a photographic likeness of his grandson, Charles Warner Cansler (1871–1953), son of Laura Ann Scott Cansler.

William B. Scott Sr. was a pioneering African American newspaper publisher, businessman, civic leader, and advocate for education in Reconstruction-era East Tennessee. In 1865, while living in Nashville, Scott helped establish The Colored Tennessean, recognized as Tennessee’s first African American newspaper. In 1867, he moved his printing operation to Maryville, where he published the first issue of the Maryville Republican. For approximately ten years, with only brief exceptions, it was the only newspaper published in Blount County. His newspaper press stood on the eastern portion of the present Raven Steakhouse and Lounge property in downtown Maryville.

Scott had previously worked as a saddle and harness maker and continued to be associated with the leather trade. His public service was equally significant. In 1869, he was elected mayor of Maryville, making him the city’s first African American mayor. He also remained politically active beyond Maryville, including speaking in support of the 1876 Democratic ticket in the hope of encouraging closer political cooperation between Black and white citizens.

Among Scott’s most lasting contributions was his role in the founding of the Freedman’s Normal Institute in Maryville, one of the first schools for African Americans in East Tennessee. The school served the community for nearly three decades and became an important institution in the educational history of Blount County.

06/16/2026

A parade heading west on Main St. (now Broadway Ave.) about 1910. The photograph was colorized and animated by AI.

06/11/2026

This colorized image of the A.K. Harper Memorial Library (now Dandy Lions Gifts) under construction has been animated using AI. The original photograph used for comparison appears in the comments below.

Dating from 1930–1931, the colorized image depicts workmen constructing the A.K. Harper Memorial Library, a project made possible through the generosity of Dora (Reagan) Harper (1859–1936), widow of Andrew Knott Harper. Mrs. Harper donated both the building site and $15,000 toward construction of the library, while George Hammontree was awarded the building contract. The structure measures 42 feet 7 inches by 50 feet 8 inches.

A memorial tablet located in the rotunda honors Andrew Knott Harper (1853–1929) and his two sons, Fred Harper (1891–1918) and Lieutenant Milton Lee Harper (1886–1918), who was killed during World War I. In 1919, the City of Maryville renamed Austin Street as Harper Avenue in memory of Lieutenant Harper.

Visible to the left of the library is Second Presbyterian Church, which served an African American congregation from approximately 1871 until 1946.

The building continued to serve as the public library until 1981, when the Blount County Public Library relocated to a new facility. The American Red Cross subsequently occupied the former library building and remained there for approximately twenty-five years. Since 2007, the structure has housed Dandy Lions Gifts, operated by Joy (Forster) Carver, continuing the building's long tradition of community service in downtown Maryville.

Individuals identified in the photograph include Jim Stephenson, standing second from the left on the front porch and wearing a hat, and his son, James Stephenson, who can be seen near the top of the image beside a utility pole.

Today, the former A.K. Harper Memorial Library remains one of downtown Maryville's most recognizable historic landmarks, linking the city's educational, civic, and commercial history across nearly a century.

Join Mark Bennett for a special walking tour of downtown Maryville on July 11, the anniversary of the founding of both B...
06/04/2026

Join Mark Bennett for a special walking tour of downtown Maryville on July 11, the anniversary of the founding of both Blount County and the City of Maryville.

This tour will feature recently discovered historical information based on original documentation and research. Participants will learn the history of downtown buildings, what stood on many of these sites before the present structures were erected, and how the community evolved over time.

The tour will also highlight the locations of African American-owned businesses that once operated in downtown Maryville, bringing attention to an important part of the city's history that is often overlooked. Through deeds, newspapers, maps, photographs, and other archival records, attendees will gain a deeper understanding of the people, businesses, and buildings that shaped Maryville's past.

Whether you are a longtime resident, history enthusiast, or first-time visitor, this walking tour offers a unique opportunity to explore downtown Maryville through newly uncovered historical evidence and stories.

Address

404 West Broadway
Maryville, TN
37801

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Historic Maryville posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Shortcuts

Share