Milwaukee VA: Tracing VA’s origins
When 60 Veterans first made their way onto the Milwaukee VA campus in 1867 and moved into existing farm buildings, things looked a lot different than today.
The campus sprawled over 425 acres of rolling grass, hills and lakes. It is an honor that today’s modern-day Department of Veterans Affairs traces its roots back to these hallowed grounds.
Little by little, year by year, and decade by decade, more buildings were added to meet the burgeoning need of Veteran health care.
Thousands upon thousands of Veterans who called this place home have passed through these grounds -- from the Civil War to today’s military hospital that serves more than 64,000 Veterans annually.
Our main hospital looks far different today than when it opened in 1966. All floors have been remodeled, and the facility now provides world-class cardiac, cancer and mental health services. Our recent changes include the Spinal Cord Injury Center, robotic surgery and new catheterization lab. These improvements support innovative, life-saving and life-changing care to Veterans of all ages and eras.