08/04/2026
Some more modern history:
Some Early History
When the Wisconsin Central Railroad decided to build through the area known as Mechanics Gove to Chicago in 1880, local farmer John Holcomb donated land for a station and village plat, which he named after himself. To honor the line's most notable stockholder, the railroad renamed the station after William Rockefeller.(1) This first depot opened in 1896 to carry passengers from Chicago through Mundelein and into Minnesota. It was located on Seymour, just south of Maple. The “new” building was constructed in 1926 and was located at Park and Morris.
Modern History
In October 1980, Leonard Schmitt, the president of the Historical Society of the Fort Hill Country, learned that the abandoned Soo Line Depot in Mundelein was scheduled for demolition. He suggested moving the depot to be used as a local history museum. Mr. Schmitt wrote a letter to the president of Soo Line requesting that they lease the depot to the historical society for $1 a year. Response was you can have it for nothing but you must move it.
After three years of delays due to regulatory red tape, the depot was relocated over the course of two days starting on August 1, 1983. The building was divided into two sections, approximately 50 ft. each. Roughly 30 Ft of the building was removed as the entire building would not fit on the available space at the new site. Lake County Carpenter’s Union donated the labor to divide the building.
Residents of Mundelein watched as slowly and carefully, workers from Advanced Moving Contractors Inc. began the long process of moving the depot to its new home at Lions Field. This site was donated by the Mundelein Park District and was located on Noel Drive across from Fairhaven School.
The depot was raised on 12 hydraulic jacks. Two steel beams were then placed lengthwise under the building, a set of wheels was installed under each steel beam. A semi-tractor and a caterpillar were required to pull the building out of the dirt that had been loosened when the foundation was removed, but for most of the trip, the semi-tractor pulled the 80-ton load alone. High power lines were covered with insulating material and held clear of the building by workers standing on the roof of the moving depot. Several corner street signs were removed. (2)
At one point a hydraulic winch was used to tug the two structures up an incline on Rouse Avenue. Several trees had to be removed, branches had to be trimmed. (3)
The move cost upwards of $16,000, (Adjusted for inflation, $16,000.00 in 1983 is equal to $42,126.89 in 2020.) not including the extensive renovations that were required. After almost five years of work, the Fort Hill Heritage Museum, housing a diverse collection of historical artifacts from Mundelein and Lake County, opened its doors to the public on July 4, 1987.
*****************************************************************
Some who donated time or money to the project:
Soo Line donated the building (on the condition that it be moved)
Lake County Carpenter’s Union
Mundelein Paint Center 41 gallons of paint
A group of young boys and girls primed the structure
Bel Rae Painters of Wauconda Painted the building – no charge
Mr. & Mrs. Harold Blackwell of Lake Zurich matched $5,000 in contributions
New roof – Local Roofing of Libertyville – gratis
Engineers of Abbott Labs of North Chicago
Architect Robert Parker Coffin of Barrington donated his architectural services
Mundelein Park District donated the land
**********************************************************
(1) The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society
(2) Mundelein Review August 4, 1983
(3) Mundelein Independent Register August 4, 1983
*************************************************************
Following is a description of the display. Enclosed are pictures from the display for reference.)
1. First Poster is a collage of pictures, most from moving day.
a) “Soo Line Depot Restoration Project. These pictures are from moving day, August 1, 1983. The depot is moved from its original location at Park and Chicago Avenues. The depot now serves as the Historical Society of Fort Hill.” Now, of course, it is the Mundelein Heritage Museum.
b) “Soo Line engine 2719 stopping for water at Dresser, Wisconsin, August 18, 1957. Scenes such as this were common even in Mundelein during the age of steam engines.”
c) Next picture, the depot is on the truck. “Left to right: George Kane, Fort Hill Society member, Robert Rode, engineer Abbott Laboratories, and Leonard Schmitt, Fort Hill Society.”
d) Another picture with the depot on the truck in the background. “Left to right: Michael Gustafson, engineer Abbott Laboratories, Leonard Schmitt, Fort Hill Historical Society, and Robert Rode, engineer Abbott Laboratories.”
e) The next picture shows “Spectators watching the overhead wires being protected during the Soo Line depot’s move.”
f) Next are two pictures of folks involved in the project. “Left to right: Larry Lee, Abbott Laboratories senior vice president. Lee’s support of the depot restoration resulted in five Abbott engineers assisting in the depot’s move; and Robert Parker Coffin, who was involved in the restoration project.” The name may be familiar as there is a road in Long Grove named after Mr. Coffin.
g) The next picture is another view of the depot on the truck as it moves from its original location to its new home. “Peter Friesen, front left, supervised the move of the Soo Line depot.”
2. Picture titled “Give The Past A Future”. A picture of the depot as it was. Note the name of the town then was Rockefeller. Circa 1924
3. The depot as it looked in the early 1980’s.
4. These pictures are of the depot after it was restored.
5. The next poster in the back is a collage of pictures taken on moving day, August 1983. “Tracks for the Wisconsin Central Railroad were laid, and first depot was built on Seymour /St. just South of Maple Avenue in 1885. The first train came through Mundelein (then called Holcomb) in 1886. This building was built in 1926.
The depot provided freight service to local businesses and passenger service to and from town until the 1970’s. By 1980 the depot was dilapidated, and scheduled for demolition.
In October, 1980, Leonard Schmitt, President of the Historical Society of the Fort Hill Country, suggested moving the depot for use as a local history museum.
It took three years of planning and negotiation to finalize the deal. On August 1, and 2, 1983, workers from Advanced Moving Contractors, Inc. relocated the depot to this site, donated by thew Mundelein Park District, then known as Lion’s Field.
The move cost about $16,000, not including the extensive renovations required to refurbish the building. After nearly four years of work, the Fort Hill Heritage Museum opened to the public on July 4, 1987.
Thanks to Leonard Schmitt’s vision and tremendous community support Mundelein was able to preserve its past for future generations.
6. This is a picture of how a school room would have looked in the early 1900’s. This was one of the displays in the “new” museum.
7. The last picture is of Dottie Watson at a Fourth of July celebration in front of the Fort Hill Historical Society museum. Dottie held 4th of July celebrations here for many years.
The End (for now)