From the 28th Annual holiday house Tour:
EDWARD HASKELL HOUSE
This house was built in 1868-1869 by Edward Haskell who came to New Bedford in 1849 to conduct a dry goods business in a store on the east side of Purchase Street south of William Street.
It was in 1855 that Haskell first bought property at the northeast corner of Cottage and Union, later adding to his purchase until he acquired a large site for his dwelling. In 1868 two houses on the property were removed. It was shortly thereafter that the present house was built.
This large Italianate house exhibits many fine details, most notably the variety of window caps, the ornamental balustrade above the eaves, projecting dormers, and an elaborate entrance way. At one time the grounds were landscaped for gardens surrounded with an intricate cast iron fence, in addition to which there was a greenhouse and an aviary, as well as a stable that went with the property. The former stable, located immediately behind the house, was converted to a two apartment house with a Cottage Street address after the death of Mrs. Haskell in 1914. In 1950 the building was converted to offices, while still retaining much of the exterior intact.
EDWARD HASKELL HOUSEThis house was built in 1868-1869 by Edward Haskell who came to New Bedford in 1849 to conduct a dry goods business in a store on the eas...