A nonprofit organization founded prior to 1967, the Okahumpka Community Club meetings stll begin with a prayer and a scripture reading, in keeping with their historical associations with the 3 local churches who joined together to purchase the property. The Okahumpka Community Club, is a local resident volunteer non-profit organization dating back to 1964, when a group of citizens formed the organ
ization to purchase the Okahumpka 'Colored" School from the Lake County board of Public Education when the School was closed down due to laws ending segragation. The school was purchased through an agreement beginning in 1967 whereby the Club paid $2500 for the property over a three year period, and took legal possession in August of 1970 when it officially became the Okahumpka Community Center. In July, 2021, the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation named the School to it's 11-to-Save list of historic buildings in Florida. One of nearly 5300 Schools that construction of was aided by Jewish Philanthropist Julius Rosenwald between 1913-1932, and one of only 120 built in the State of Florida, our School represents one of only 23 still in existence in Florida, and is nearly in it's original unaltered construction design. On November 13th, a historic marker was donated by the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation and placed in front of the old School. On January 18th, 2022, after an intense nomination process, The National Park Service placed the old School on the National Register of Historic Places. The current Community Club Board is undertaking fundraising and grant funding efforts to restore the old School to it's originally designed condition, and, to construct a New Community Center behind the school to be used for public meetings, community events, and resident events. It will also be used as a gathering place for student school trips to the Historical Okahumpka Rosenwald School, which is being made into a learning center with displays and information about Julius Rosenwald, Booker T. Washington, and in memory of local resident and noted Florida Civil rights leader Virgil D.