The plows are filled with gas. The salt spreaders are packed full. Portage Street Department crews are ready for whatever Mother Nature brings us this afternoon and overnight through Tuesday morning.
Be safe out there, drive carefully.
And, please remember, to help our snowplow crews efficiently clean our streets, do not park any vehicles in the street overnight. City code bans on street parking if there is an accumulation of 2 inches or more of snow.
Here's the National Weather Service's full forecast.
Winter Storm to Impact the Region Beginning This Afternoon and
Including the cities of Crete, Peotone, Beecher, Gary, Hammond,
Merrillville, Portage, Valparaiso, and Chesterton
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO NOON CST TUESDAY...
* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected, snow will likely be heavy
at times for a period this evening. Total snow accumulations of
3 to 6 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze. Winds
gusting as high as 35 mph.
* WHERE...In Indiana, Lake IN and Porter Counties. In Illinois,
Eastern Will County.
* WHEN...From 4 PM Monday to noon CST Tuesday.
* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The snow will likely mix with or change to
freezing rain or freezing drizzle for a time this evening into