Portage Prepares Social Media Policy:
This information will provide you as the visitor to the Portage Prepares page with details about how posts are handled by the Portage County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management. This policy is in effect under the authorization of the Portage County Commissioners and the EMA Advisory Committee.
Official Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management -Portage Prepares use of social media is intended to broaden the reach of communication and engagement with the community and stakeholders, while utilizing new platforms that offer methods of communicating beyond traditional sources of information such as the county website.
Official social media tools will be used to:
• Deliver public information, customer service to county residents
• Advance countywide goals to education the public on disaster preparedness
• Communicate directly to the public especially during emergencies/disaster
The Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management maintains the Portage Prepares social media sites on Facebook. Department staff will manage day-to-day operations of a social media site. Only county staff will serve as publishers. During times of activation of the Emergency Operations Center, members of the Public Information Group will be included in personnel using the Facebook and account.
Portage Prepares will be posting
• Relevant: Information that helps residents and pertains to their daily lives
• Timely: Information about deadlines, upcoming events, news or related to current events.
• Actionable: Information to register, attends, take action.
Comments from Citizens
Comments from the public are welcome on the Portage Prepares page. Comments will be monitored daily during working hours to ensure they meet certain criteria. County-created social media forums must be structured narrowly to focus discussions on a particular interest of Portage County rather than creating a “public forum.”
Staff may only remove postings based on the guidelines below, not because a comment disagrees with county policy. The purpose of this site is to present matters of public interest in Portage County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and Portage County, including its many residents, businesses and visitors. We encourage you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns, but please note this is a moderated online discussion site and not a public forum.
Once posted, the county reserves the right to delete these kinds of submissions containing:
1. Vulgar language
2. Personal attacks of any kind
3. Comments or content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability or sexual orientation
4. Spam or links to other sites
5. Posts that are clearly off topic
6. Posts that advocate illegal activity
7. Posts that promote particular services, products, or political organizations
8. Posts that infringe on copyrights or trademarks
9. Personally identifiable medical information
10. Information that may compromise the safety, security or proceedings of public systems or any criminal or civil investigations.
Please note that the comments expressed on this site do not reflect the opinions and position of the Portage County Government or its officers and employees. If you have any questions concerning this social media platform, please contact the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management at [email protected]
Comments that do not meet these criteria shall be retained then deleted. Publishers will take screenshots of the original county post and the comment(s) that will be deleted. A description detailing why content was removed or deemed not suitable will be maintained
Publishers may choose to reply to comments and engage residents in the same way we reply to phone and email inquiries, but business decorum will prevail and factual responses -- not opinions -- may be shared. Agency staff monitoring for and replying to comments will coordinate responses with other agencies, if appropriate, so the best response can be provided.