Sanford Boys & Girls Club of Redding has served tens of thousands of children in rewarding sports, recreation, social, and educational programs. Jesse P. Sanford, a former judge, Redding First Selectman and community leader, founded the Club in 1939 for the purpose of providing safe, supervised recreation for the children of Redding. Incorporated as a tax-exempt, non-profit organization in the 194
0s, the Club acquired approximately eight acres of open fields on Cross Highway near Black Rock Turnpike, where sports activities have been held since the early 1900s. Responding to increasing needs in the 1950's, the Club built a Clubhouse that stood until destroyed by fire in 1996. In 2003, completely new facilities were opened, including a barn which houses a clubhouse meeting room, offices, snack bar, and equipment storage, and a pavilion with picnic tables -- a great place to watch a game, or stay out of the sun or rain.