Our pasts will always be remembered, for in those memories, we live on.
In the Summer of 1927 a group of concerned citizens brought to the Three Springs Borough Council, initial proceedings on behalf of the community and its concerned citizens protection, a charter to start a community fire company. This fire company would be known as the “Three Springs Fire Company”. On the 17th day October 1927, the Honorable Thomas F. Bailey granting the charter for the existence of the Three Springs Fire Company signed a decree in the Huntingdon County Court of Common Pleas. Loyal and Dedicated community members volunteered their time and efforts toward the new fire company. The first piece of apparatus purchased for the fire company was a 1912 hand drawn hose cart with 300 feet of 2 ½ hose. After a period of time and with the on set of World War II taking the young men of the community, the fire company had all been but forgotten. When life was beginning to return to normal after World War II, in 1947, a new group of concerned citizens made it evident to the rest of the community about the threat of fire in the community. On April 4, 1947, the fire company was re-organized and has been active from this day forward. Shortly after, the new officers of the fire company purchased additional equipment for the hand-drawn hose cart, such as (2) 2.5” to 1.5” adapters for $5.30/each, an AkroMist nozzle for $39.00, and an additional 500’ of 1.5” hose for $540.00. The fire company had consistently grown since the reorganization and to further the development of the fire company on March 5, 1948 a building committee was organized to construct a new fire station. On March 19, 1948, the local school board signed a lease of the land around the mineral springs for 99 years to construct the new fire station. On March 26, 1948, the first motorized piece of apparatus arrived in Three Springs. The Dodge/John Bean High Pressure Fog Pumper had a 500-gallon water capacity and was purchased for $5310.00. On October 7, 1949, the new fire station was completed and ready for fire company use. With a vibrant proud Fire Company, the Three Springs Fire Company hosted its first and only Fireman's Convention. The Tenth Annual Huntingdon County Fireman’s Convention was held in the Summer of 1956 on June 30th with a grand parade and softball game. Some years later on January 9, 1967 a contract was signed to purchase a new piece of apparatus to replace the 1948 pumper. A new Ford C850/John Bean High Pressure Fog Pumper was purchased with a 1000 GPM pump and 1000-gallon water capacity. It was placed in service in July of 1967. Five years later in 1973, the growing community needs for fire service was complimented by an addition on the fire station built in 1949 to accommodate to new pieces of apparatus. One of the pieces would be a 1957 GMC Tank Truck with a 2000-gallon water capacity purchased in 1973. To update the 1957 Tanker, a new Chevrolet chassis was purchased and installed in 1977. The new chassis enabled faster response and better reliability for the rural service area which was growing into the surrounding communities of Three Springs. The fire company later, in 1979, purchased a 1961 6X6 Chevrolet/Hahn pumper with a 750 GPM pump and a 1750-gallon water capacity to compliment the growing number of volunteers. The year of 1983 brought further updating of equipment to the fire company, which decided to refurbish the 1967 Ford/John Bean Pumper. 4-Guys Fire Trucks, Meyersdale, PA, performed the refurbishment. The fire company purchased a 1975 Hahn custom pumper from Carlisle, PA for $50,000 to replace the oldest piece of the apparatus fleet in 1987. It included a 1000 GPM 2 stage Hale Pump and a 650-gallon water capacity. It was placed in service as Engine 12-2. At twenty-five years old the 1977 Chevrolet Tanker was updated and refurbished by 4-Guys Fire Trucks during 1992 with a stainless steel body and an 1800-gallon elliptical tank and a 500 GPM Waterous single stage pump and additional compartmentation. With the advances in technology and the growing needs for better vehicle rescues, the first AMKUS rescue system with an electric motor, a combination cutter/spreader and a hydraulic ram was purchased for $8,000. It was placed in service in 1993 on Engine 12-2. After years of running constantly aging primary equipment the members of the fire company decided to purchase a new pumper to replace the 1975 Hahn Pumper. In 1997, the fire company purchased a Spartan Advantage/Luverne Resolution with a Waterous 1250 GPM single stage pump and a 750-gallon water tank. It was placed in service as Engine 12. It was the first new apparatus purchase by the fire company in 30 years. It was the first custom piece of apparatus with an enclosed cab for the Firefighter's safety. Shortly after the purchase of the new Engine, the Huntingdon County Local Emergency Planning Commission and Emergency Management Agency named Engine 12 as the Southern Huntingdon County component of the Huntingdon County Foam Task Force. Through the cooperation of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation of Natural Resources (DCNR) the fire company received a 1963 2.5 Ton 6X6 Kaiser. It was converted to a brush truck with a 600-gallon water capacity. It was placed in service as the current Brush 12. After many years of dependable service the fire company replaced the aging 1967 Ford/John Bean Pumper with a 1980/1994 Oren/Grumman custom pumper. It was purchased from the Westminster Fire Department in Westminster, MD. This piece of apparatus was placed in service as Engine 12-1 as an Engine-Rescue. It includes a Waterous 1000 GPM pump, a 1000-gallon water capacity, and a six man enclosed cab. With a donation from the Three Springs Area Ambulance Service a complete set of AMKUS rescue tools was purchased for the new piece of apparatus. The recent Federal and State Government's institutions of the Department of Homeland Security's Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program and the Pennsylvania Volunteer Fire Company Grant Program has enabled the Three Springs Fire Company to prosper and serve its communities for years to come. In 2004, the fire company was awarded its first “Federal Fire Grant”. The Fire Company received new MSA Air Packs for all pieces of apparatus, as well as, additional Air Cylinders to replace the 25-year-old apparatus it was currently using. It also received an Air Cascade system and Fill Station for the fire station and the fire company’s first MSA Thermal Imaging Camera, which was placed in service on Engine 12. The Fire Company also received a Pennsylvania State Fire Grant, which assisted the fire company with the purchase of a second MSA Thermal Imaging Camera for Engine 12-1 and replace aging hose on the pieces of apparatus. Again in 2005, the Fire Company was blessed once again with a “Federal Grant Award” to purchase communication equipment for both the apparatus and the individual Firefigthers to increase the safety of the Firefighters on scene at an incident and collaboration between neighboring county's fire companies during any mutual aid assistance call. Once again in 2007, the Three Springs Fire Company received notification of its most fortunate “Federal Grant Award”. It enabled the Fire Company to replace the 30-year-old Chevrolet Tanker with a new piece of apparatus. The members of the Fire Company worked to design the new piece of apparatus which arrived in late May of 2008. The new tanker is a 2008 International Workstar Chassis and a Crimson Fire body. It is equipped with the tools of a pumper and the latest technologies of a water supply tanker. As well in 2008, a new firehall adjacent to the original firehouse built in 1949 has been completed. The rich history, growing interest, and continued support of the community will be the catalyst for growth of the Three Springs Fire Company for many years to come.