The Tidioute Library Association was founded on October 21, 1921, under the supervision of
Miss Helen Rockwell from the Penn State Library of Harrisburg. At this time, the library was in a room behind Emerson's Barbershop. All of the materials were donated by the public until funding became available. Then, in 1930, an oil and lumber baron named Freeman Hertzel, agreed to build and equip a modern
fireproof building for $25,000. Gordon Norton, a local businessman, donated property at 197 Main Street where the Tidioute Public Library now stands. On November 19, 2004 a ground breaking ceremony was held for the construction of a 2,000 square foot addition. The newly renovated building was completed and re-dedicated in 2006. The Tidioute Public Library is dedicated to providing materials and services for the educational and recreational needs of the community. We particularly hope to encourage the joy of reading and learning among students and patrons of all ages.