• Executive Order 7S #6 (“EO 7S”) issued by Governor Lamont on April 1, 2020 instructed all Connecticut municipalities to participate in one or both property tax suspension and/or modification of tax deadlines and collection efforts programs offered.
• Your municipality has chosen to participate in the deferment program.
• The deferment program extends the last day to pay a tax bill due on July 1, 2020. Only eligible taxpayers as defined by EO 7S are included in this program.
• The 2019 grand list bill is still due July 1, 2020 and now payable through October 1, 2020 without interest and/or penalties added; payments shall be postmarked with a US Postmark or received by 10/1/2020 in order to be considered on time per the state statutes.
• Any bills unpaid after October 1, 2020 will be subject to 1.5% simple interest per month from July 1, 2020 on the tax balance; therefore, as of October 2, 2020, this interest rate will total 6% (1.5% for July, August, September and October since a partial month in the law is considered a full month). Every month after that will be subject to 1.5% per month as well totaling 18% interest per year.
• Eligible taxpayers will have to apply for this program by July 1, 2020 according to the rules set by the Office of Policy and Management (“OPM”). Landlords will also have to apply for the real estate they own and have to supply the Tax Collector with proof that they offered their tenant or lessee a commensurate forbearance.
• Failure to apply for this program by June 15, 2020 (PLEASE NOTE DATE CHANGE) or filing an incomplete application will result in failure to qualify for this tax deferment.
• Please click this https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/OPM/IGPP-Data-Grants-Mgmt/COVID19-IGPP-Documents/Municipal-Tax-Relief-Deferral-Form-M-COVID19-Fillable.pdf?la=en for the form to fill out.
• We are encouraging this form to be submitted electronically. Please email the completed form to [email protected]. You can type in your name as the signature if you don’t have scanning capabilities.
• You can also visit our website for more information. https://www.torringtonct.org/tax-collectors-office
Please take a look at these and other resources across our new website. Our team here at the City of Torrington is ready to serve you! Welcome to the community.