We recently responded to a discrepancy at Green Island Light. The light was reported extinguished and thanks to the awesome support and expertise of the flight crews at Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City - our crew was able to hitch a ride to the island and replace the faulty LED lantern.
Green Island Light was first built in 1863 to help guide the mariner for transits into Green Bay as well as provide an offshore signal for the entrance to the Menominee River. First manned by Keeper Samuel Drew, the light would continue to be manned until it was automated in 1933.
One of Samuel Drew’s sons Frank would eventually follow in his father’s shoes and become head Keeper in 1909. Frank and his brother George would go on to perform dozens of heroic rescues during their time as as Lighthouse Keepers. Hence, one of the Coast Guard’s Keeper Class Coastal Buoy tenders, the USCGC FRANK DREW, was christened in his honor in 1999.
The lighthouse structure was abandoned in 1956 and an 80’ tall skeleton tower was built in its place to continue this vital Aid to Navigation.
Aid Technicians and Advanced Climbers for the mission were Electrician’s Mate Second Class Meyer, Machinery Technician Third Class Angelucci, and Fireman Perry.
Photos courtesy of EM2 Meyer.