The citizens of Wakefield, Massachusetts voted at Town Meeting in 1893 to purchase the plant, land, and manufacturing equipment of the Citizens' Gas & Light Company, a private company which generated electric power from its North Avenue plant. Poor quality of service and profitability were cited as the reasons for the Town Meeting decision. At the time of the vote, a $180,000 bond was approved for
the purchase, and a three-member Municipal Light Board was created to oversee the operation of this municipal department. Approval from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was granted shortly after the vote which paved the way for the company to operate its own gas and electric company. The initial cost to the town was approximately $20,000 for necessary repairs and improvements to the outside equipment to improve electrical service to the townspeople who were now the owners of the light company. On August 4, 1894, the Town of Wakefield assumed operation of the plant. At the time, there were 84 electric customers, 169 gas customers and 42 miles of electric wire on the 600 poles throughout the Town, but there were no street lights. The pole lines and wires were in poor condition and repairs were slow and costly. Requests for service were received from people who were originally denied service from the privately-owned company because of their location in the community. All requests for service were approved by the light board and the Town eventually had its street lights.