Congregation Ahavath Beth Israel (CABI) synagogue in Boise, Idaho, was built in 1895 and is among the oldest synagogues in continuous use west of the Mississippi River. Boise's first Jews were present in the mining camps in the 1860s, but it was not until 1895 that a Congregation Beth Israel was formed. Most of the congregants were from Germany and Central Europe and the synagogue followed Reformed ritual. Moses Alexander, mayor of Boise and governor of Idaho, was an early leader of the congregation. Congregation Ahavath Israel was founded in 1912 by Orthodox immigrants from Eastern Europe. The two congregations merged in 1986 to become Ahavath Beth Israel. The wood-shingled synagogue, which opened in 1896, blends two architecture styles popular with turn-of-the-century Jewish congregations: the Rundbogenstil and the Moorish Revival styles. The synagogue was listed in the National Register of Historic Places - NPS in 1971. In 2003, it was moved from its original location on State Street to its current location on Latah Street. The Idaho State Historic Preservation Office and other National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers members help preserve sacred buildings that tell the stories of communities throughout America.