A resource for credible & nonpartisan info, analysis and news on US-Indo-Pacific relations at the national, state & local level. https://asiamattersforamerica.org/
🚨 OUT NOW!! Read our NEW publication, created in partnership with AmCham Taiwan. Includes data & stats detailing US & Taiwan trade, investment, employment, business, diplomacy, security, education, tourism, and people-to-people connections at the national, state, and local levels.
✏️📅 Mark your calendars! East-West Center in Washington & AmCham Taiwan will be launching a new publication on Sept 20. Follow the hashtag for more infographics + resources leading up to the launch.
Register to attend the launch in-person on Capitol Hill, or watch the livestream: https://www.eastwestcenter.org/events/the-launch-taiwan-matters-americaamerica-matters-taiwan
Confirmed speakers include (more to be added):
- Suzanne Puanani Vares-Lum, President, East-West Center
- Dr. Satu P. Limaye, Vice President, East-West Center & Director, East-West Center in Washington
- Don Shapiro, Senior Advisor, American Chamber of Commerce in Taiwan (AmCham Taiwan)
- Rep. Bi-khim Hsiao, Taiwan's Representative to the United States, Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) (Taiwan in the US)
- Rep. Steve Chabot (OH-1), Co-Chair, Congressional Taiwan Caucus
- Sen. Jim Inhofe (OK), Co-Chair, Senate Taiwan Caucus (Video Remarks)
- Rep. Mario Rafael Diaz-Balart (FL-25), Co-Chair, Congressional Taiwan Caucus
- Randall Schriver, Chairman of the Board, The Project 2049 Institute
- Rupert Hammond Chambers, President, US-Taiwan Business Council
- Dr. William Vocke, Executive Director Emeritus, Foundation for Scholarly Exchange (Fulbright Taiwan 學術交流基金會) (Virtual Remarks)
- Richard Pearson, Executive Director, Western Pacific Fellowship Project
- Russell Hsiao, Executive Director, Global Taiwan Institute
With House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's recent visit to Taiwan, what are the connections between Taiwan and her home state of California? Take a look at the graph to see Taiwanese travel and tourism spending in California in 2020.
In 2020, a total of $182 million was spent by Taiwanese visitors on travel and tourism related expenses, including study abroad, ticket fares, business, and health in California alone.
With House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's recent visit to Taiwan, what are the connections between Taiwan and her home state of California? Take a look at the graph to see the growth of the Taiwanese-American population in California since 2015.
The overall Taiwanese-American population in California was over 98,000 as of 2020, with an annual growth rate of 5,000.
Since the onset of the 2021 coup in Myanmar, the education sector has been the country’s most active—yet most affected—sector. Students and teachers persistently defy the junta by refusing to attend military-controlled schools. With the goal of providing an interim education to students and teachers participating in the Civil Disobedience Movement, Spring University Myanmar - SUM offers virtual certificates and programs from multiple disciplines and urges the international community to support their work. Learn more about the Spring University Myanmar from the latest analysis. https://asiamattersforamerica.org/articles/student-advocates-in-myanmar-defy-the-military-through-an-innovative-education-platform
With House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s recent visit to Taiwan, what are the connections between Taiwan and her home state of California? Take a look at the graph to see California jobs supported directly by exports to Taiwan.
Overall, In 2019, 100,000 US jobs were supported by US exports to Taiwan. California ranks first in US jobs supported by exports to Taiwan, followed by Texas, Washington, New York, and Illinois.