This week’s virtual tour of colonial Singapore features the Cavenagh Bridge, pictured in this color photochrom by the Photoglob Co. in Zurich, circa 1890-1910, https://www.loc.gov/item/2017657642/?loclr=fbint. Completed in 1869 with Indian convict labor, it is the oldest bridge spanning the Singapore River to survive in its original form. At its inception, the bridge served to connect the government quarter on the north bank with the commercial center on the south bank. The steel structure was imported from Glasgow by P&W MacLellan and its suspension construction was a novelty in the region at the time. The Cavenagh family coat of arms adorns the crossbeams at both ends of the bridge, a reminder of the namesake of the bridge, Sir William Orfeur Cavenagh, the last governor appointed by the British East India Company to Singapore. Today, Cavenagh Bridge is a pedestrian bridge and has been gazetted as a national monument.