Missão do Brasil junto à Organização dos Estados Americanos

Missão do Brasil junto à Organização dos Estados Americanos Página Oficial da Missão Permanente do Brasil junto à Organização dos Estados Americanos (OEA)
(6)

Operating as usual

08/12/2021

Vagas abertas na Comissão Interamericana de Direitos Humanos (CIDH), em Washington, DC. Posições nas áreas jurídica, administrativa e de imprensa. Inscrições até 15/8.

Link nos comentários.

Comisión Interamericana de Derechos Humanos

08/11/2021

Confira o discurso do presidente da Funai-Fundação Nacional do Índio, Marcelo Augusto Xavier da Silva, proferido na sessão extraordinária do Conselho Permanente da Organización de los Estados Americanos (OEA) alusiva ao Dia Internacional dos Povos Indígenas e à Quarta Semana Interamericana dos Povos Indígenas. #SemanaPovosIndígenas

08/10/2021
www.oas.org

No contexto da IV Semana Interamericana dos Povos Indígenas, promovida pela Organización de los Estados Americanos (OEA), a Missão do Brasil tem a satisfação de publicar alguns vídeos com depoimentos de indígenas brasileiros. Os vídeos estão disponíveis também na página da OEA - link nos comentários.

#SomosIndígenas
#SemanaPovosIndígenas

07/27/2021

Inscrição do Sítio Roberto Burle Marx na Lista do Patrimônio Mundial da UNESCO

O Sítio Roberto Burle Marx, na Barra de Guaratiba, no Rio de Janeiro, foi inscrito hoje, 27/7, na Lista do Patrimônio Mundial da UNESCO. O Comitê do Patrimônio Mundial reconheceu o “Valor Excepcional Universal” do sítio, por seu impacto no desenvolvimento do “jardim tropical moderno” por meio da combinação de ideias criativas do movimento modernista com tipologias locais e plantas tropicais. Trata-se da consagração da principal obra do paisagista brasileiro, agora merecidamente reconhecida pelo mundo.

Vaga para auxiliar administrativo no Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Washington, DC:
07/06/2021

Vaga para auxiliar administrativo no Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Washington, DC:

No período de 06 a 30 de julho de 2021, o Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Washington, DC receberá inscrições para o processo Seletivo 1-2021 para a contratação de Auxiliar Administrativo (AA). No link a seguir http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br/pt-br/News.xml acesse o Edital, leia atentamente e faça sua inscrição. No site do Consulado, confira também o Cronograma do Processo Seletivo 01-2021.

O Art Museum of the Americas mostra uma das obras de Roberto Burle-Marx, artista plástico brasileiro, que também foi pai...
06/15/2021

O Art Museum of the Americas mostra uma das obras de Roberto Burle-Marx, artista plástico brasileiro, que também foi paisagista, pintor, desenhista, designer, escultor e cantor.

Entre outras obras, Burle-Marx foi o responsável pelo paisagismo do Palácio Itamaraty, sede do Ministério das Relações Exteriores, em Brasília, local que abriga a tapeçaria em lã intitulada "Vegetação do Planalto Central", igualmente composta por Burle-Marx.

Roberto Burle-Marx (Brazil, b.1909, d.1994)
Design for an Aubusson Tapestry, 1953
gouache on paper, 42 x 33"
Collection OAS AMA | Art Museum of the Americas
Gift of Mrs. John A. Pope

On this day in 1954, the exhibition Landscape Architecture in Brazil: Roberto Burle Marx, in collaboration with the Smithsonian Institution, concluded its three-and-a-half-week run at the Organization of American States (OAS) Main Building Gallery, precursor to the present-day AMA.

A 1960 gift by Annemarie Henle Pope, founding director of the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (SITES) and a former employee of the Pan American Union during the World War II years, this gouache by Roberto Burle Marx is a design for a handwoven Aubusson Tapestry of a scale of 1:2 or half the actual size. Best known as a landscape architect and a remarkable modernist pioneer with botanical texture and color, Burle Marx’s design nevertheless incorporates biomorphic elements which he widely favored in his tropical private garden and public parks commissions. Set against a neutral beige background, this fluid rectangular composition of intertwining organic shapes and outlines in opaque earthy tones of ochres, burnt sienna, yellow, and black suggest a grouping of figures in space. Yet it can be taken as a dynamic and rhythmic abstract play of colors and organic forms typical of a mid-century aesthetic. Executed the year prior to his first U.S. solo exhibition Landscape Architecture in Brazil: Roberto Burle Marx of 1954 at the OAS, the tapestry design followed in the vein of other artists such as Marc Saint-Saëns, Lucien Coutaud, and Emiliano Di Cavalcanti, who were inspired by the postwar rebirth of the Tapisserie d’Aubusson industry in France and had special designs hand-woven in wool by Atelier Pinton Frères. The widely creative range of the artist at the time, and his solution to space as a juxtaposition of color and textures in the integration of art and architecture was evident in his designs for gardens, textiles, and tile panels for buildings. The exhibition traveled throughout the United States in 1954-1955 increasing his reputation and fame as a contributor to the unique modern Brazilian architectural movement and his professional partnership with Lucio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer. Roberto Burle Marx was born in São Paulo, the son of Wilhelm Marx and Maria Cecilia Burle. The family relocated to the neighborhood of Leme to the south of Rio de Janeiro in 1913 where a young Burle Marx began his experiments in garden design. In 1928 he enrolled in the Escola Nacional de Belas Artes to study architecture only to relocate to Berlin the following year where he attended the Degner Klemm school. There he visited the Berlin-Dahlem Botanical Garden and was further impressed by the collection of Brazilian plants which soon became the medium of choice for aesthetic expression and creativity. Upon his return to Brazil in 1929, he continued his painting studies under Leo Putz. At age twenty-one, encouraged by architect Lucio Costa, Burle Marx designed a private garden for Alfredo Schwartz. In 1934 he was named director of the Department of Parks and Gardens of Recife while taking classes with Cândido Portinari and Mário de Andrade at the Federal District University. Burle Marx became Portinari’s assistant in the commission of decorative tile murals in the Ministerio da Educacao e Saúde and eventually designed its three gardens including one on a roof. Now part of the modern architecture avant-garde circle, Burle Marx closely collaborated with architects Marcelo and Milton Roberto, Costa and Oscar Niemeyer on various important commissions. Burle Marx held his first painting exhibition in 1941 with the Associação de Artistas Brasileiros in Rio followed by the 1944 Modern Art Group exhibition in Belo Horizonte along with the likes of Anita Malfatti, Emiliano Di Cavalcanti, Tarsila do Amaral, and Alberto da Veiga Guignard. From this moment on, he continued to exhibit his art at national salons as well as internationally. He was the recipient of a prize in the first International Exhibition of Architecture in the II Bienal de São Paulo in 1953 whose jury included architects Walter Gropius, José Luís Sert, and Alvar Aalto.

Este gouache de Roberto Burle Marx, donado por Annemarie Henle Pope, directora fundadora del Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service y exempleada de la Unión Panamericana durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, es el diseño para un tapiz de Aubusson a una escala de 1:2, es decir, la mitad de su tamaño real. Burle Marx es conocido por ser un arquitecto de paisajes y un notable e innovador modernista, en términos de texturas y colores botánicos. Su diseño incorpora elementos biomórficos ampliamente presentes en su jardín tropical privado y en sus encargos para parques públicos. Ubicada sobre un fondo beige neutro, esta fluida composición rectangular consiste en intercaladas formas orgánicas y contornos de opacos tonos tierra —ocres, siena quemado, amarillo y negro—. Este grupo de figuras en el espacio, puede leerse como un dinámico y rítmico juego abstracto de colores y formas orgánicas, típico de la estética de mediados de siglo. Creado un año antes de su primera muestra individual en los Estados Unidos, Landscape Architecture in Brazil: Roberto Burle Marx (OEA, 1954), este boceto de tapiz siguió la línea de artistas como Marc Saint-Saëns, Lucien Coutaud y Emiliano Di Cavalcanti, quienes se inspiraron en el renacimiento de postguerra de la industria de Tapisserie de Aubusson, en Francia, y mandaban a confeccionar diseños especiales al Atelier Pinton Frères, donde eran tejidos en lana y a mano. El amplio rango creativo del artista, en esa época, y su manera de solucionar el espacio por medio de la superposición de color y texturas para integrar arte y arquitectura, era evidente en sus diseños de jardines, textiles y en los paneles de azulejos que realizaba para edificios. La exposición viajó por todos los Estados Unidos (1954-1955), lo que aumentó su reputación y fama como contribuidor del particular movimiento moderno de arquitectura brasilera y, también, como socio de los afamados arquitectos Lucio Costa y Oscar Niemeyer. Hijo de Wilhelm Marx y Maria Cecilia Burle, Roberto Burle Marx nació en São Paulo, Brasil. En 1913, la familia se mudó al barrio de Leme al sur de Río de Janeiro, donde el joven Burle Marx comenzó a experimentar con el paisajismo. En 1928 se matriculó en la Escola Nacional de Belas Artes para estudiar Arquitectura. Sin embargo, al año siguiente viajó a Berlín, donde asistió al taller Degner Klemm. Ahí visitó el Botanischer Garten (el jardín botánico), y se impresionó aun más con la colección de plantas brasileras, las que pronto se convirtieron en su medio de expresión y en el motor de su creatividad estética. A su regreso a Brasil, en 1929, continuó sus estudios bajo la tutela de Leo Putz. A los veintiún años, motivado por el arquitecto Lúcio Costa, Burle Marx diseñó un jardín privado para Alfredo Schwartz. En 1934 fue nombrado director del Departamento de Parques y Jardines de Recife, mientras tomaba clases con Cândido Portinari y Mário de Andrade en la Universidade do Distrito Federal. Burle Marx asistió a Portinari en la realización de encargos de murales decorativos de azulejos para el Ministerio de Educación y Salud. Diseñó sus tres jardines, incluido uno en el techo. Como parte del círculo de arquitectura moderna vanguardista, Burle Marx colaboró de cerca con los arquitectos Marcelo y Milton Roberto, Costa y Oscar Niemeyer en numerosos e importantes encargos. Burle Marx realizó su primera muestra de pintura en 1941, con la Associação de Artistas Brasileiros, en Río, y en 1944 participó en una exposición colectiva de arte moderno en Belo Horizonte junto a Anita Malfatti, Emiliano Di Cavalcanti, Tarsila do Amaral y Alberto da Veiga Guignard. A partir de ese momento, el artista siguió mostrando su obra en salones nacionales como también fuera del país. En 1953 recibió un premio en la primera Exposición de Arquitectura en la Segunda Bienal de São Paulo, por parte de un jurado conformado por Walter Gropius, José Lluís Sert y Alvar Aalto.

-Olga Ulloa Herrera

O Museu de Arte das Américas, sediado em Washington, DC, apresenta a obra "Retorno da Feira", de Cândido Portinari, que ...
06/10/2021

O Museu de Arte das Américas, sediado em Washington, DC, apresenta a obra "Retorno da Feira", de Cândido Portinari, que faz parte de seu acervo.

Cândido Portinari (Brazil, b. 1903, d. 1962)
Return from the Fair, 1940
Oil on canvas, 40 x 32"
Gift of José Gómez Sicre

In June of 1947, the exhibition Portinari of Brazil opened at the Pan American Union Building Gallery, now the Organization of American States (OAS), precursor to the present-day AMA. The exhibition featured the first public showing of Return from the Fair, which soon after became the first artwork accessioned into the present-day AMA art collection.

Cândido Portinari painted Return from the Fair in 1940, the year of the retrospective exhibition Portinari of Brazil at the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Museum of Modern Art in New York which garnered great attention and further ushered his international fame. In the painting, an Afro-Brazilian woman and five daughters are depicted in a nocturnal scene of lively revelry set against the vast arid and barren reddish-brown or terra roxa northeastern landscape of his hometown of Brodowski. The monumental yet individualized figures with distorted modeling fill most of the foreground and are shown in various stages of dancing and rhythmic body movements. Elements such as the mast pole scarecrow in the background, a red umbrella, the white dresses with billowing blue sashes, hair flowers and ribbon ornamentation, and the lit lanterns doting the deep dark blue sky suggest the annual popular Festa de São João marking the end of the rainy season and the start of planting and harvest. His characteristic draftsmanship and special emphasis on muscular arms, hands, and expressive gestures point to a cultural celebration of the common people—blacks and mulatos dedicated to toiling the land and fields or engaging in popular feasts—as a quest for a personal vision of a modernist national identity spirit or Brasilidade. Although criticized for these thematic choices in Brazil, Portinari nevertheless established a large international following. A gift to José Gómez Sicre from the artist and his wife, Return from the Fair was presented to the Pan American Union in 1949 marking the first artwork to enter the future permanent collection of the Visual Arts Section and the now Art Museum of the Americas. One of the most significant painters of Latin American modernism at mid-century, Cândido Torquato Portinari became widely known in the United States when the Brazilian government commissioned him to paint three large panels for the interior of the Brazil Pavilion at the 1939 New York World’s Fair. Born on a coffee plantation near the town of Brodowski to poor Italian immigrant coffee workers, Portinari became interested in painting at an early age. Highly talented, he attended the Escola Nacional de Belas Artes in Rio while supporting himself by drawing portraits. At age twenty-five he won the Prix de Voyage which allowed him to travel and remain in Europe for two years. In 1935 he submitted the painting Café to the Carnegie International securing a second honorable mention and the next year he joined the University of the Federal District where he met Roberto Burle Marx, then a student. He was commissioned to paint interior fresco murals and to execute an exterior tile mural in the new Ministry of Education and Health in Rio designed by Lucio Costa, Oscar Niemeyer, and others with whom he would maintain long professional relationships. In 1939 the Museum of Modern Art acquired O Morro / Hill of 1933 marking the first Brazilian and South American painting to enter its permanent collection. His 1940 retrospective exhibition Portinari of Brazil featured over 190 artworks and led to the commission by the Hispanic Foundation to paint four murals in the vestibule of the Hispanic Room of the Library of Congress. Portinari first exhibited Return from the Fair at the Pan American Union in the group exhibition Contemporary Latin Americans (April-May 1947) and in his solo exhibition Portinari of Brazil (June 30-August 3, 1947) which featured sixteen paintings and four studies of murals which, due to the limitations of transportation during the war years and after, had remained in the United States with friends such as Beatrice Rudes, then director of the Washington Institute for Contemporary Art.

Cândido Portinari pintó Retorno da feira en 1940, el mismo año en que se realizó la muestra retrospectiva Portinari of Brazil en el Detroit Institute of Arts y el Museum of Modern Art, la que obtuvo mucha atención e impulsó aún más su fama internacional. En la pintura, una mujer afrobrasileña y sus cinco hijas son retratadas en una escena nocturna de jolgorio contra el vasto y árido paisaje marrón rojizo del noreste —o terra roxa— de su Brodowski natal. Las figuras monumentales pero individualizadas por medio de formas distorsionadas cubren casi todo el primer plano y son retratadas en diversas etapas del baile, mientras ejecutan movimientos rítmicos. Elementos como el espantapájaros en el mástil del fondo, la sombrilla roja, los vestidos blancos con cinturones azules ondulantes, las flores y las cintas en el pelo, y las linternas encendidas que adornan el cielo azul profundo hacen alusión a la popular fiesta de São João, que marca el final de la temporada lluviosa y el comienzo del cultivo y la cosecha. Su característico talento como dibujante y el especial acento puesto sobre las manos, los brazos musculosos y los gestos expresivos sugieren una celebración cultural de sectores populares —negros y mulatos dedicados a labrar la tierra, que participan en fiestas folclóricas—. Se trata, pues, de la búsqueda por una visión personal de la identidad nacional modernista, o bien, de la brasilidade. Aunque en Brasil fue criticado por estas elecciones temáticas, Portinari consiguió un amplio grupo de seguidores a nivel internacional. Donado por el artista y su esposa a José Gómez Sicre, Retorno da feira fue presentado en la Unión Panamericana, en 1949, y se convirtió en la primera pieza en ingresar a la futura colección permanente de la Sección de Artes Visuales, hoy conocida como Art Museum of the Americas. Uno de los pintores más importantes del modernismo latinoamericano de mediados de siglo, Cândido Torquato Portinari se hizo ampliamente conocido en los Estados Unidos después de que el gobierno brasilero le encargara un tríptico para el interior del pabellón de Brasil en la New York World’s Fair. Nació en las cercanías del pueblo de Brodowski, en la plantación de café donde trabajaba su familia, formada por inmigrantes italianos de escasos recursos. Desde pequeño Portinari mostró interés por la pintura y, así, poseedor de un gran talento, asistió a la Escola Nacional de Belas Artes en Río. Dibujaba retratos para poder mantenerse. A los veinticinco años ganó el Prix de Voyage, lo que le permitió viajar y vivir en Europa durante dos años. En 1935 presentó la pintura Café al Carnegie International, donde obtuvo una segunda mención de honor, y al año siguiente se matriculó en la Universidade do Distrito Federal, donde conoció al entonces estudiante Roberto Burle Marx. Recibió el encargo de pintar unos murales interiores y de ejecutar un mural de azulejos exterior en el nuevo edificio del Ministerio de Educación y Salud de Río diseñado por Lucio Costa, Oscar Niemeyer y otros con quienes mantuvo una larga relación profesional. En 1939 el Museum of Modern Art de Nueva York adquirió O Morro / Hill (1933), la primera pieza brasilera y sudamericana en ingresar a la colección permanente. Su muestra retrospectiva Portinari of Brazil (1940) contó con más de ciento noventa obras y derivó en el encargo de cuatro murales para el vestíbulo de la Sala Hispánica de la Library of Congress de parte de la Fundación Hispánica. Portinari expuso por primera vez Retorno da feira en la muestra colectiva Contemporary Latin Americans, realizada en la Unión Panamericana en abril-mayo de 1947, y luego realizó la exposición individual Portinari of Brazil (30 de junio-3 de agosto, 1947), que contó con dieciséis pinturas y cuatro estudios de murales, todas obras que, debido a las limitaciones de transporte durante y después de la guerra, habían sido guardadas en los Estados Unidos por amigos como Beatrice Rudes, en aquel entonces directora del Washington Institute for Contemporary Art.

–Olga Ulloa Herrera

Address

2600 Virginia Ave NW, Ste 412
Washington D.C., DC
20037

General information

Para saber mais sobre a Organização dos Estados Americanos, acesse: http://www.oas.org/pt/default.asp

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Missão do Brasil junto à Organização dos Estados Americanos posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Business

Send a message to Missão do Brasil junto à Organização dos Estados Americanos:

Videos

Nearby government services