08/06/2026
RIFLE CLUB
There have been 5 Rifle Clubs in the District Council of Franklin Harbour area. Three closed down in the late 1920’s and one in 1959, Utera Rifle Cub, Coolanie Rifle Club, Narridy Creek Rifle Club & Elbow Hill Rifle Club.
Utera Rifle Club records indicate it was the first club to be formed with a government grant of £38/1/3 was authorised on the 16th of June 1914 to stablish a range. The club officially dismembered on the 28th of June 1928, the equipment of this cub went to the Coolanie Rifle Club.
Narridy Creek Rifle Club was the next club to be formed in 1914, with two government grants were authorised, one for £20 on the 30th of October 1914 and one on the 20th of November 1914 for £14/16/11 for construction.
The second grant may have been for the formation of the Elbow Hill Range as it was a sub range to Narridy Creek. Elbow Hill stopped sometime in 1921. The range was officially disbanded on the 20th of June 1929.
Coolanie Rifle Club was formed in 1928 following the disbanding of the Utera club. The Coolanie club functioned well for the next 30 years, but eventually membership dwindled and in 1959 the club amalgamated with Cowell.
Cowell Rifle Club’s earliest records are dated September 1915. There were records of two grants totalling £58/11/7 being made to establish the range. It had a large number of members. An old minute book dated July 1916 a mobilisation form was filles in with the following information:
30 members for military service,
3 riding horses,
13 bicycles,
2 motor bicycles,
28 draught horses for hire or sale,
2 hay wagons,
1 light wagon,
2 days, harness for all horses,
3 blacksmiths and farriers,
1 wheel wright,
1 saddler,
1 tailor,
2 carpenters
& 1 boot maker.
The number of club members who volunteered for active service in either the first world war or second world war are not available, but the percentage would compare favourably with any other area in Australia. There was a need for a clubhouse, and it was noted that there was a 20 x 40 foot steel framed building as Keswick Barracks available for £15.
A party of volunteers went to Adelaide to dismantle the building and load it onto a semi-trailer provided by Mr O. H. Wright. Once back in Cowell R. O. Linton & R. C. Tonkin with their building skills were able to rebuild a reasonable looking clubhouse.
NOTE: For taking his semi-trailer to Adelaide and transporting the building, Mr Wright received 3 packets of ci******es and a bottle of whiskey!
In 1985 the club was in a sound financial position with 16 members.