Welcome to Alamogordo, New Mexico
The City of Alamogordo was founded in 1898, when the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad, headed by Charles Eddy, extended the railway to the town. Charles influenced the design of the community, which included large wide thoroughfares and tree-lined irrigation canals. Charles Eddy's brother, John Eddy, named the new city Alamogordo after a grove of fat cottonwoods he remembered from the Pecos River area. When Alamogordo was laid out in 1898, the east-west streets were given numerical designations, while north-south streets were named after states. The present-day White Sands Boulevard was then called Pennsylvania Avenue.
Today Alamogordo is a growing community of 31,000 people with a median age of 37 and a median household income of $45,500. The community neighbors Holloman Air Force Base and the incredible White Sands National Monument. With a yearly average of 285 days of sunshine and mild winter temperatures, outdoor activities and fun abound. Learn more about visiting Alamogordo at www.alamogordonmtrue.com
Learn more about the City of Alamogordo at www.ci.alamogordo.nm.us